Patterns Don't fit?

Jim Blume

I do this a lot.. in fact.. not many patterns these days that I use where I don't modify them in some way.. sometimes I take several patterns and combine them to make up a completely different design. Or adding text, sayings etc. I'm not super great at actual designing.. but I can modify existing designs so that's what I do to try to make things that nobody else is so to speak.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 10:39 AM, Foxfold said:

Late to the party, but I put all my patterns through Inkscape and resize to fit my wood. Turn everything Grey with a red outline that is the width of my blade and bingo. !!

I wish I would take the time to learn to do just what you explained.  I am not very good with computers.  Just the red, narrow outline helps a lot.  I have had others here do it for me and I have actually done it myself a time or two accidently.  LOL

5 minutes ago, flarud said:

I wish I would take the time to learn to do just what you explained.  I am not very good with computers.  Just the red, narrow outline helps a lot.  I have had others here do it for me and I have actually done it myself a time or two accidently.  LOL

Don't feel bad. I have wasted countless hours trying to master Inkscape to no avail. If I could just get a handle on what all the commands do and when/why to use them, it would be fantastic. I wish someone offered a one day class on the basics. I'd pay for it gladly. 

3 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Don't feel bad. I have wasted countless hours trying to master Inkscape to no avail. If I could just get a handle on what all the commands do and when/why to use them, it would be fantastic. I wish someone offered a one day class on the basics. I'd pay for it gladly. 

If I would just use it more often I think that I could figure out how to do just the basic things that I would need to do.  I have so many patterns already printed out that I have yet to cut as it stands.  I agree with you on paying for a basic class.  

8 hours ago, flarud said:

It really isn't difficult, don't let the 'terminology' put you off.  I do it all the time and I'm no computer whizz kid.  It takes 10 steps (10 clicks of the mouse)  it sounds a lot but takes less then 5 minutes.          Happy to write these down if anyone is interested.

I used to do and still do by accident change the lines to red.. however dummy me bought a laser printer last year that only prints black, 😂 My first laser printer.. I do like it, I guess it might save a little money on ink but I'm not quite certain of that.. Not even had it a year and have had to replace the ink a couple months ago. The ink is more $$ than the inkjet I had so I'm not 100% sold just yet. Maybe it was the cheap laser printer I bought. To get a color unit in what I need  / use is quite pricey upfront so I was running this cheap one for a year or so to see what I think.. I'll compare my ink cost at the end of the year and see where I'm at with it.

As for learning inkscape I used to be the same way and still am with some of the more advanced things we do as pattern makers. This is somewhat how I am with my CNC too.. and the thing is as others have said.. you work your way through it and sort of learn it, but then don't do it again for a month or two and forget everything you went through the first time around..

7 hours ago, Foxfold said:

It really isn't difficult, don't let the 'terminology' put you off.  I do it all the time and I'm no computer whizz kid.  It takes 10 steps (10 clicks of the mouse)  it sounds a lot but takes less then 5 minutes.          Happy to write these down if anyone is interested.

10 clicks don't sound bad at all!  I would be interested in the steps, but only at your convenience.... no rush for me.  

Thank you Brenda!

8 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Please do. It might be just what I need.

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I used to do and still do by accident change the lines to red.. however dummy me bought a laser printer last year that only prints black, 😂 My first laser printer.. I do like it, I guess it might save a little money on ink but I'm not quite certain of that.. Not even had it a year and have had to replace the ink a couple months ago. The ink is more $$ than the inkjet I had so I'm not 100% sold just yet. Maybe it was the cheap laser printer I bought. To get a color unit in what I need  / use is quite pricey upfront so I was running this cheap one for a year or so to see what I think.. I'll compare my ink cost at the end of the year and see where I'm at with it.

As for learning inkscape I used to be the same way and still am with some of the more advanced things we do as pattern makers. This is somewhat how I am with my CNC too.. and the thing is as others have said.. you work your way through it and sort of learn it, but then don't do it again for a month or two and forget everything you went through the first time around..

Kevin, most of the printers will tell you that you are out of or low on toner. Check on youtube for a way to override that. I bought a Brother color all in one a few years back. I'm still running the black cartridge that came with it. When it warned me about the toner, a did a couple of button pushes and reset it. Still going. I bought my printer for $225 dollars and it performs great. No inkjets for me. The only downside is I can't print photos. For that, I go to Costco.

I have created a new 'Topic' in 'General Scroll Sawing'  for the instructions, as I feel we've take to much room already from what was after all @Jim Blume  post.

My apologies Jim, it was not intentional, things just ran away in a different direction.