Poplar boards... what the hell...

Iguanadon

9 hours ago, Woodmaster1 said:

Kevin it's getting close to Johnson's wood expo 16 days away. Hopefully there will be some good deals. The 90 mile drive is worth it. Sorry Ray my 90 mile drive takes less than 90 minutes.

Just a heads up, They have I69 tore up and it's only 1 lane for several miles before you get into Charlotte. They've needed to repair this interstate for at least 10 years now and finally doing it but everyone complaining about it. LOL They have the southbound lanes completely torn up and have them crossing over to the northbound side. It was pretty smooth going for me last week but that was mid morning.. I could see that being a jam during busy times of the day though. 

I probably won't be making it to the expo again this year. I bought 200bdft. of Poplar and 100bdft. of both oak, cherry, maple, and walnut back in January when I learned I get the same pricing as the expo sale if I buy 100bdft or more. LOL I also picked up 20 sheets of 1/8 BBply and 5 sheets of 1/4".. I've barely touched any of it other than the Walnut and Poplar and haven't used much of those yet either because a bunch of my freebie lumber from my brothers mill is finally dried good enough to use.

Depending on what's happening I may show up to the expo if the wife and I decide to not take a short trip for our anniversary. The expo always lands on our anniversary, had I known about this 28 years ago I would have changed the date. But that being said it is frontier days or something like that so lots of activities and a nice crafts show on the courthouse lawn that we like to attend.. which is actually how I learned about the expo in the first place, LOL Anyway, we was thinking about going to Niagara Falls so I'm probably not going to the expo.  

1 hour ago, Woodmaster1 said:

Thanks Kevin for the traffic report. I guess a 15 to 20 minute earlier start will be needed.

If you want to avoid that construction you could get off at the Bellevue / Olivet onto M78 ( Butterfield HWY ) take a right ( east ) off the exit go to the stop sign ( about 1 mile ish ) which will be named... well they name it everything, LOL. Marshall Rd. , old 27,  whichever it's called in that particular area but same rd. take a left ( north ) follow it all the way to Johnsons as they are on that road and the road pretty much goes right along side of I69. You'll go through small town of Olivet then then it's a decent two lane rd with a 55mph speed limit until you come into Charlotte..  Old 27 goes all the way down to near the state line just south of Coldwater Mi. I don't know how the road is after you go about 15 mile south of Marshall as I've never been on it any farther south of there.   

On 8/21/2021 at 2:41 PM, Iguanadon said:

I just made a run to Lowe's for my usual purchase of poplar boards and seeing something I've never run into before... piecing together boards to make a 12" wide??? In my short 5 years of doing this, never seen this before... anyone else run into it?  6' long board cost has gone from $33 to $45 and now doing this?

PXL_20210821_181257430.jpg

ive been seeing this around here at all 3 big box stores for a few years. down to 8" wide can be glueups.

menards here does have some  S3S lumber from a mill. red oak, yellow birch, poplar, maple, alder. red oak is always in stock but the others seem to switch month to month. i havent seen anything wider than 8" but the price isnt too aweful bad.  the red oak is about $2.85 bd/ft which isnt bad for S3S at a big box.

Well Scott you are going to have to shop around to see if there is a local supplier around somewhere. Lucky I have one 60 miles away. I can get a 12in x 12ft x 1in poplar board planed down to 3/4in for 43.00. I do have to do a bit of sanding though. The other route is like everything else these days ( raise your prices ). Not really what I like to do but you have to survive. Hope you find you a better supplier soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 12:27 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Could be well worth the effort and drive IF you're in the business as Scott is to have a storage shed and go make a 200 mile trip to buy 200 board foot as I do..

I might have to do that. I had a customer ask for a custom order to be made from maple yesterday. Maple isn't available locally. The cheapest I could find where they would ship was $120 for 10bf delivered.

4 hours ago, BadBob said:

I might have to do that. I had a customer ask for a custom order to be made from maple yesterday. Maple isn't available locally. The cheapest I could find where they would ship was $120 for 10bf delivered.

Try Cherokee Wood Products. They specialize in scroll saw wood.

Cherokeewood.com

Call and ask for Chris. He runs the online sales. I'm close enough that I drive to them but he does what he can to keep shipping costs down. Great guy. 

Edited by OCtoolguy

18 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Try Cherokee Wood Products. They specialize in scroll saw wood.

Cherokeewood.com

Call and ask for Chris. He runs the online sales. I'm close enough that I drive to them but he does what he can to keep shipping costs down. Great guy. 

I've ordered from them before.