Fun new tool that was $11

crupiea

I constantly amd tweaking my finishing process.  What I usually do is use spray paint. 

That leads to an insane amount of aggrivation as it seems the better I get at it, the worse I get at it at the same time.  Spend more time chasing failures and fixing them than anything else.  So figured something has to change.

been wanting to use my airbrush and cheap acrylic paints but I need something that covers bigger areas more effectively.  

Looked at harbor freaight and they have the quick change airbruch kit for $11.  Just a little gun with pots for the paints.  Just adjust the nozzle on the bottles to get the right amount of spray.  Already have a little compressor. 

This thing works great.  Cross between a spray can and airbrush.  Not the accurary of an airbrush but you can use just about any old paint you want as long as you thin it right.  Plus, the clean up is just cleaning the little plastic pot and nozzle.  

Sprayed my new project with cheapo walmart acrylic craft paint.  gave it a great first coat, Then finished it off with the same cheapo paint and used a magic sponge for a brush for a smooth finish. 

If you are looking for some cheap fun, this tool is it. 

airbrush.JPG

28 minutes ago, crupiea said:

Those mr clean white sponge things. I get the walmart brand and cut them in half.   Melamine is what i think they are called technically. 

Still not sure. That's my wife's area of expertise. Maybe if you could shoot a pic with your phone it would be of help.

Never mind. I found them online.

Edited by octoolguy

15 hours ago, jollyred said:

Started using the  same sprayer a few weeks go.  Still learning but I do like it.  I use the same paints and they work just fine.  I also use Pledge floor finish for a gloss coat over the acrylic.  A lot cheaper than other gloss finishes.

Tom

I hears about the pledge but walmart was out.  Did you have to thin it?

8 hours ago, crupiea said:

I hears about the pledge but walmart was out.  Did you have to thin it?

I use it in thinner with about 15 psi or less.  Check how it is working on some paper before spraying on your project.  Put it on too heavy and it will run and drip.  The old saying about practice makes perfect is true for this also.

Tom

36 minutes ago, jollyred said:

I use it in thinner with about 15 psi or less.  Check how it is working on some paper before spraying on your project.  Put it on too heavy and it will run and drip.  The old saying about practice makes perfect is true for this also.

Tom

What exactly are you talking about with Pledge? Is it something other than the spray can Pledge that my wife has all over the house?

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

What exactly are you talking about with Pledge? Is it something other than the spray can Pledge that my wife has all over the house?

The pledge floor polish they say can be used as a clear top coat.  

As far as the regular compressor goes Ray, you of course can use it but will need some adapters so to hose fits like with any tool, Just turn down the pressure. 

49 minutes ago, crupiea said:

The pledge floor polish they say can be used as a clear top coat.  

As far as the regular compressor goes Ray, you of course can use it but will need some adapters so to hose fits like with any tool, Just turn down the pressure. 

A trip to the plumbing dept at H/D.

"What exactly are you talking about with Pledge? "

It is a clear liquid polish and comes in a large jar.   It is put on in thin layers, and might take two or three layers to get a good shine.  It won't be as high a shine as you get with lacquer, but I like its sheen.  

The adapter you will need is from the 1/8" female NPT threads on airbrush hose to the 1/4" NPT threads on the compressor or quick connect.  It is also a good idea to have a moisture trap on the line to the airbrush.

Finding air line adapters to fit air brush hoses can be a challenge locally. Sometimes, places that sell air brushes and supplies may have them, but online is usually best. Look in the air brush section as well as the plumbing sections.  Before internet, I had all kinds of trouble finding what I needed. I believe a 1/4 female to 1/8" male adapter is what I ended up with, but don't remember where I found it. They are very hard to find. You may end up with two adapters stacked together to get the size change needed.

Good luck.

Charley

8 minutes ago, CharleyL said:

Finding air line adapters to fit air brush hoses can be a challenge locally. Sometimes, places that sell air brushes and supplies may have them, but online is usually best. Look in the air brush section as well as the plumbing sections.  Before internet, I had all kinds of trouble finding what I needed. I believe a 1/4 female to 1/8" male adapter is what I ended up with, but don't remember where I found it. They are very hard to find. You may end up with two adapters stacked together to get the size change needed.

Good luck.

Charley

Yes, since I sold tools for 40 years I became very familiar with adapting all the different air line connections. I stocked all that stuff. My source is still there but I don't need dozens of each size so I will have to hunt down some of my old cohorts who are still in the business.