And I even got to scroll

wdkits1

Hi everyone

As most of you know, last year I decided to try something new and set up a page on CustomMade .com. Although I have gotten a few small commissions from this, I wondered if it was worth the cost to continue. Well it has paid off with my best commission yet, so it looks like I will renew for another year. This is the prototype of a custom knife block that I made for a client that is having me make 40 of these to give to their customers for Christmas. The client sent me the specs of all the knives and an idea for the shape of the prototype and here it is.

Made from Walnut, Cherry and Maple. Quite a challenge to get everything to fit perfectly figuring the 18 degree angles involved and producing so many perfect glue lines but I whipped it with the help of different custom jigs which I will use for the mass production work.

knifeblockfinished001.jpg

knifeblockfinished013.jpg

And where does the scrolling come into play you may ask. Well all of the slots where the knives go are different sizes so each slot was cut into the 3/4" stock using a #5 blade .

knifeblockfinished007.jpg

This should keep me busy for awhile. Let the fun begin!!!