Lumber prices dropping - your area?

new2woodwrk

I got an email this morning on one of my news watches and this is what I got (I have not verified this as of  yet, but will this weekend):

On May 28, 2021, the cash market lumber price hit its all-time high of $1,515. (Yikes!) According to Fortune Magazine, the price has since fallen 74%, putting it back to 2018 prices. Currently, lumber is around $400.

Can anyone else confirm their area lumber pricing has dropped?

Thanks as always in advance

Edited by new2woodwrk

• new2woodwrk changed the title to Lumber prices dropping - your area?

I haven't been following it closely, but I just checked prices on Lowes website. A standard pre-cut 2x4 stud is $3.48.  A 2x4x10' is $7.88 and a 2x4x16' is $10.52.  A 4x8 sheet of 7/16" OSB is $13.85.

I think these prices are considerably lower than they were a few months ago, but I wasn't really tracking the prices, so I don't know how they compare to 2020 or 2019 prices.

Where I live, it seems like nothing ever goes down except the sun. I did go to Costco yesterday to gas up the car and the price of regular had gone down $.15 a gallon from 2 weeks ago. Still at $3.74/9 though. About a dollar higher than anyplace else. I'll be surprised if wood/lumber goes down significantly. We can sit and watch all the freighters sitting out in the harbor waiting to be off-loaded. It seems like they never move.

16 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Where I live, it seems like nothing ever goes down except the sun. I did go to Costco yesterday to gas up the car and the price of regular had gone down $.15 a gallon from 2 weeks ago. Still at $3.74/9 though. About a dollar higher than anyplace else. I'll be surprised if wood/lumber goes down significantly. We can sit and watch all the freighters sitting out in the harbor waiting to be off-loaded. It seems like they never move.

Be glad you don't live in Colorado or Utah. Was there 2 weeks ago $4.19 a gallon wherever we stopped. As we came back home to Iowa the gas got a lot cheaper in Wyoming and Nebraska 

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Paid $4.09 on the Navy base yesterday.  Its not coming down anytime soon.  

Framing lumber has come down in our area but still higher than what it was a year ago. Plywood and sheet goods are still more than double in price. Other building material, electrical, plumbing are still over priced. I replaced some 2'x2' ceiling panels in 2019 at $4.10 per panel, now $11.53 per panel.