Too Delicate a pattern for you to cut?

Jim Blume

I hear that sometimes, and can remember when I too was intimidated by a pattern. But then someone told me, "One hole at a time" and it changed my entire thought process.

Besides that, things being fragile can pose a different set of concerns and there are a variety of techniques to help you there too. Taping waste pieces back inside fragile areas might be an option, cutting really long cuts out in sections rather than all at one time, and I'm sure others work as well. Point here is to not be intimidated or overcome. Like ole Dan George said in a movie, "Endeavor to Persevere".

But if you still would like to make something less fragile, cropping a pattern might be an option for you. See what I did here, but don't tell the designer I messed with his pattern.....😉😉.

Jesus, Crown of Thorns  (New).png

Jesus, Crown of Thorns  (New, cropped).png

3 hours ago, Jim Blume said:

I hear that sometimes, and can remember when I too was intimidated by a pattern. But then someone told me, "One hole at a time" and it changed my entire thought process.

Besides that, things being fragile can pose a different set of concerns and there are a variety of techniques to help you there too. Taping waste pieces back inside fragile areas might be an option, cutting really long cuts out in sections rather than all at one time, and I'm sure others work as well. Point here is to not be intimidated or overcome. Like ole Dan George said in a movie, "Endeavor to Persevere".

But if you still would like to make something less fragile, cropping a pattern might be an option for you. See what I did here, but don't tell the designer I messed with his pattern.....😉😉.

Jesus, Crown of Thorns  (New).png

Jesus, Crown of Thorns  (New, cropped).png

I personally like the challenge, but with the cropping it looks pretty much the same. I might try this one, but don't tell the pattern designer

Busy, many hole, delicate and intricate patterns is of no concern to me.  Usualy mistakes can be hidden and/or fixed in one way or another.  It is those patterns with long straight cut lines or patterns with lots of block fonts that I shy away from. 

I totally agree, a many hole pattern is no differen than a small number of hole pattern.  Just cut one hole at a time.  I tend to leave the largest cut out areas for last, but that is just me. 

Edited by FrankEV

@FrankEV I am working on a pattern that has some long straight lines and I decided to try scoring them first using a ruler and a Xacto knife before cutting. It seemed to really help maintain a straight cut.  You might give it a try, if you haven't already. 

Thanks all "for not telling the designer" I messed with his pattern. As a few folks mentioned, those loooong cuts can sometimes be more of a challenge than many many small cuts. The zero insert works well too, especially with fragile cuts.

Dennis Knappen likes my Elder pattern, and I have to say that it is also one of my favorites, and has been cut many times for folks here in Wisconsin's native American community. 

Thanks all for your comments, and especially working together to help out others who may happen upon this thread.

Indian, The Elder.png

When I cropped the pattern, it was primarily to give a pattern that was less intimidating and discuss something that you could do yourself with difficult patterns. I would like to think that most designers would not care if you did this to most patterns. |

Now that I see it, I may cut it myself as it doesn't seem to lose any of the impact and you don't have that really long cut to worry about. It does add a few cuts to your total though, so if you are into counting cuts and keeping a log book, that may ber better for increasing your annual total. 🤣

"Work from the center out" is my best advice when working on delicate patterns. You can't always do this, but keeping the outer areas solid until the end helps with handling and moving the piece with as little damage as possible. But always remember that once the pattern has been removed, only you will see the little errors. Everyone else looks at the whole project at once and never sees the little errors.

Charley

Back when I first started cutting fragile fretwork patterns I would cut the most fragile or challenging areas first.  My theory was If I was going to screw up I wanted it to happen before I had allot of time invested.  I am one of those nut cases that if I messed up where it would be noticeable to me the piece became designer firewood. LOL 

Edited by stoney