Astronaut judges Art contest.

preprius

Hi all,

I ran across an interesting competition for Art pieces.
I am not really an artist.  I'm more of an electronic engineer that likes hands on.  And during locked down I can get more hands on.

My first job out of college was Rockwell Space Shuttle division in Downey California.  My sister was born in 1969,  my Mom and Dad decided to name my sister Rhea Dawn. Dad says Rhea was a greek goddess for Earth,,  and Dawn was rising.   So my sisters name is Earth Rise because of the picture from the moon showing earth rising.
So I kinda am interested in space stuff.  

So the art contest is about Earth.   It is promoted by an Astronaut Nicole Stott.   She is the first to try water color painting in space. 

I was watching a interesting National Geographic Series called "One Strange Rock" narrated by Will Smith.  This is many episodes.  It talks with Astronauts and then dives into some really cool details back on earth.  Episode 1 shows how parts of oceans change colors within 90 minutes.  Astronauts go around earth every 90 minutes.  They noticed that colors changed.   Nicole Stott was in series.  There is more astronauts also.   This shows discusses something called overview effect.

Here is a short video from her. . . 

Here is a link to the competition. 
https://earthobservations.org/artcompetition.php

You should browse around about the earth observation main page to see and feel what they do.  This gives a better feel for the Art contest.
One section is of course about sustainable wood source.  

about 2/3 way down on this page is an online form.  I clicked this and it has an area for 500 words max about your art piece.

Scrollsaw projects as art.  This contest is a cool way to show off this site.
Sea Turtles,  Jelly Fish,  Nature scenes,  Water Wheels,  these are some of the stuff I've seen done by members.   
FrankEV your stuff has lots of nature scenes plus they have some really cool colors.  
Intarsia guys also have some cool pieces. Natural coloring from mother nature. :)

The hotshot coin guy,   Nicole Stott wears a pendant,  jewelry is art.  

This is a global contest.   

Last note:   I know this topic can be pretty controversial about global warming.   It is not my intent to bring up opinions and debates with this post.

Very interesting... Yep,, I got my 3 month old son up at 3am or there abouts, to watch the landing on the moon.... He doesn't seem to remember it.. I've always been amazed at space travel... We really should be far more advanced than we are now in that area, but to me, not given the priority it should have been given..  I will go back and read absorb more of this... Thanks for sharing..

Edited by Scrappile

• 2 months later...

I use the menu activity, all activity.  and still miss some.

It depends how many updates happen.  I might not want to scan thru 117 updates.

Oh , My artistic idea I could not get it done in 6 weeks.   I had this vision bigger than my immediate capabilities.  But next september it will be done.  I need to learn lots of stuff.  Which in progress.  Some new technology was just announced this month.  I will incorporate that also.

It will use scrollsaw items.  It will be fun project.  

Anyway might be a bad time to "follow" this topic.