Not much to brag about but,

heppnerguy

That is awesome!! Great cutting.

Dick, you are always one step ahead me.  Another one of the projects I want to try this year...  In fact this past week end I took Patti and a quilting friend of hers to a street Quilt and woodworking show... Of course I wanted to see the woodworking part.  Plus a great friend was taking part in the show with the local turners club.  We had a great talk and decided that sometime in the near future, we would make chess sets.... He would turn his pieces, I will do the 3D pieces for mine.. We will make the chess boards together, because he does segmented turning and knows how to cut little pieces, safely.  He has the jigs for it.  

I just do not know why you had to go and move.....😒

Edited by Scrappile

23 hours ago, Scrappile said:

That is awesome!! Great cutting.

Dick, you are always one step ahead me.  Another one of the projects I want to try this year...  In fact this past week end I took Patti and a quilting friend of hers to a street Quilt and woodworking show... Of course I wanted to see the woodworking part.  Plus a great friend was taking part in the show with the local turners club.  We had a great talk and decided that sometime in the near future, we would make chess sets.... He would turn his pieces, I will do the 3D pieces for mine.. We will make the chess boards together, because he does segmented turning and knows how to cut little pieces, safely.  He has the jigs for it.  

I just do not know why you had to go and move.....😒

Paul,

Sounds like a good plan to me. Glad to hear that Patti is getting out a little more. I would have loved to go to the wood show with you, that  would have been interesting to me too. I know your chess pieces will be a lot better then mine but it is a rather fun cut and not near as challenging as I imagined they would be. Hey, any ideas where I might find some 1 3/4 wood by 6 X 12 ?

Dick

heppnerguy

19 hours ago, meflick said:

Should be another excellent project when you are done. I know your son will love it when he gets it at Christmas. I look forward to seeing the final completed project.

I just hope they turn out well enough for both my son and myself to be happy with them. If not, my son will probably use them on occasion, after I have left this world and say, "  my dad made them for me". That would make it all worthwhile.

Dick

heppnerguy

19 hours ago, lawson56 said:

Awesome job on both!!👍👍 Love the game. Just don't have no one to play anymore. Looking forward to seeing the finished set.😀

I love the game also but I was never really good at it. I loose a lot of the time but if I play a game that  I felt was a good one for me, I am a happy camper and a good looser anyway

Dick

heppnerguy

18 hours ago, Buzz1953 said:

Very nice, I always wonder how they will would look . 

My too. I have done some compound cuts before but it seemed they were always somewhat of a problem. now I am able to make them without much problem, so far, I think it has to do with the blades I am using now.

Dick

heppnerguy

8 hours ago, Tomanydogs said:

This will be a stunning chess set, I can see it already. You are off to a great start. How is the misses doing?

Thank you for your comments and especially for the question on Sharon. She is still recovering but starting to push herself a little more than I want her to. Progress, never the less, that is all good.

Dick

heppnerguy

7 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Paul,

Sounds like a good plan to me. Glad to hear that Patti is getting out a little more. I would have loved to go to the wood show with you, that  would have been interesting to me too. I know your chess pieces will be a lot better then mine but it is a rather fun cut and not near as challenging as I imagined they would be. Hey, any ideas where I might find some 1 3/4 wood by 6 X 12 ?

Dick

heppnerguy

I went to my local Windsor plywood today just to look at what was available and prices.... beautiful wood available in 8/4 thickness... but you will pay for it... all was like $9+ a bf.. in 6" width.. that gets expensive fast.. but maybe doable for chest pieces... darn they had some beautiful stuff... I leaned towards  rose woods..  I have always loved that stuff... Several years ago,,, when I was pen turning, I purchase a bunch of pool cue stick making pieces of rose wood...  Turned a enough handles for a complete set of screw driver and many pen...  I'd like to find that deal again.. 

31 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I went to my local Windsor plywood today just to look at what was available and prices.... beautiful wood available in 8/4 thickness... but you will pay for it... all was like $9+ a bf.. in 6" width.. that gets expensive fast.. but maybe doable for chest pieces... darn they had some beautiful stuff... I leaned towards  rose woods..  I have always loved that stuff... Several years ago,,, when I was pen turning, I purchase a bunch of pool cue stick making pieces of rose wood...  Turned a enough handles for a complete set of screw driver and many pen...  I'd like to find that deal again.. 

Thanks Paul. I might go to the wood store tomorrow and check it out in this location.  I was thinking about a 2 X 6 Redwood board. Do you  think that  would work?

Dick

13 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Thanks Paul. I might go to the wood store tomorrow and check it out in this location.  I was thinking about a 2 X 6 Redwood board. Do you  think that  would work?

Dick

I don't see why redwood wouldn't work... I have a lot of redwood that I got when I to the stairs off my deck....Come over, I'll give you some!!  The pipes in my street organ are salvaged redwood from my deck..

Edited by Scrappile