Blade Tubes

OzarkSawdust

I can't find my blades after the move. The holder and blades are lost in a box somewhere. I have an extra holder I got in a swap.

Is this the blade tubes that fit in the Steve Goode holders? https://tinyurl.com/madx7sss

Never found the power cord...but got one at WalMart. Stock was getting low and was going to order blades anyway. I did find the foot switch today! YEA!

I hate moving!

Edited by OzarkSawdust

• 2 weeks later...

Long ago I began using the 5.5" pill bottles from my local drug store. The Pharmacist at the Walmart near me will give them to me in 10 at a time quantity for free. When I need more, I get them, but I wait a few weeks between so I don't affect their supply noticeably. They don't use this size often anyway. The tops are combination locking and no lock depending on whether the cap is installed right side up or upside down. This is very convenient. I keep them in the upright locking orientation, except for the one that I am using and I invert the cap on that one, mostly to be able to find it easily. I built a large hinged box that holds many of these bottles and each bottle will hold about 5 gross easily, or with 3 gross or less in it, there is room for one of my fat fingers to reach in and extract just one blade from the bundle that I have opened.

I use round paper sticky labels on the tops and write the blade contents on it. I also drop the label that comes with the blades into the bottle, so if the cap doesn't get put on and gets mixed with another, that I can figure out the error and get the proper cap back on the correct bottle. I never re-use a previously used blade. They go into a waste recycle bottle when I remove them from the saw. At about $0.25 a blade, they just aren't worth trying to keep them and somehow keep from mixing them, since I switch blade sizes and styles quite often. Even if I remove a blade after just 10 minutes of cutting, it goes into the recycle bottle. The enjoyment of my scroll saw hobby depends on the quality of my cuts. Only new blades will ever be used on my saw, and if I don't like how a blade is cutting it might reach the recycle bottle in less than 1" of cutting. .

I have been known to throw away a whole bundle if I find several bad blades in it.  The only exception to this is the spiral blade that I use frequently for cleaning out tight places in the patterns. I have a rare earth magnet glued to the upper arm of my saw that this spiral blade lives on when it's not in use. When it gets dull, it goes in the same recycle bottle with the other used blades. 

So I have a big box that I store most of my blades in, and then a smaller box that is divided in half. One side is for the hand tools and other things that I frequently use when cutting on my scroll saw. The other half of the box contains up to 9 pill bottles that I expect to use in my scrolling session. These get traded out from the larger box as my needs change. The smaller box is always next to my scroll saw when I'm cutting, and it went with me to any shows, training classes, or demonstrations when I was doing them. Now, it just sits on top of an inverted soda crate next to my scroll saw.

Charley 

23 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Long ago I began using the 5.5" pill bottles from my local drug store. The Pharmacist at the Walmart near me will give them to me in 10 at a time quantity for free. When I need more, I get them, but I wait a few weeks between so I don't affect their supply noticeably. They don't use this size often anyway. The tops are combination locking and no lock depending on whether the cap is installed right side up or upside down. This is very convenient. I keep them in the upright locking orientation, except for the one that I am using and I invert the cap on that one, mostly to be able to find it easily. I built a large hinged box that holds many of these bottles and each bottle will hold about 5 gross easily, or with 3 gross or less in it, there is room for one of my fat fingers to reach in and extract just one blade from the bundle that I have opened.

I use round paper sticky labels on the tops and write the blade contents on it. I also drop the label that comes with the blades into the bottle, so if the cap doesn't get put on and gets mixed with another, that I can figure out the error and get the proper cap back on the correct bottle. I never re-use a previously used blade. They go into a waste recycle bottle when I remove them from the saw. At about $0.25 a blade, they just aren't worth trying to keep them and somehow keep from mixing them, since I switch blade sizes and styles quite often. Even if I remove a blade after just 10 minutes of cutting, it goes into the recycle bottle. The enjoyment of my scroll saw hobby depends on the quality of my cuts. Only new blades will ever be used on my saw, and if I don't like how a blade is cutting it might reach the recycle bottle in less than 1" of cutting. .

I have been known to throw away a whole bundle if I find several bad blades in it.  The only exception to this is the spiral blade that I use frequently for cleaning out tight places in the patterns. I have a rare earth magnet glued to the upper arm of my saw that this spiral blade lives on when it's not in use. When it gets dull, it goes in the same recycle bottle with the other used blades. 

So I have a big box that I store most of my blades in, and then a smaller box that is divided in half. One side is for the hand tools and other things that I frequently use when cutting on my scroll saw. The other half of the box contains up to 9 pill bottles that I expect to use in my scrolling session. These get traded out from the larger box as my needs change. The smaller box is always next to my scroll saw when I'm cutting, and it went with me to any shows, training classes, or demonstrations when I was doing them. Now, it just sits on top of an inverted soda crate next to my scroll saw.

Charley 

Thanks Charley, as always, great advice. Straight from the Sage.