Plywood?

kmmcrafts

I'm sure I've seen mention of real thin plywood... looking online at some of the wood suppliers etc.. the thinnest ply I've seen is 1/8" Anyone know a source for thin ply.. I had 1/16 or similar in mind.. but anything less than 1/8 could be considered.

I have some ornament designs that I've thought about making backer for that could be painted.. While 1/8 would work I think it would also make the ornament kind of bulky and heavier.. while I have made ornaments from 1/4 and it worked well.. I just thought if there was a thin ply that could be used to cut the ornament and then use the 1/8" as a backer would make a nice slim ornament.  

I have band sawn hardwoods like cherry to 1/16 with some success  for ornaments and I Priced 1/16th 5'X5' marine grade Baltic Birch, real quality stuff at a nearby lumber supplier, 130.00 or so. that is 3 months agowhen at that time 1/8th was selling for 18.00. now baltic birch is very scarce. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'm sure I've seen mention of real thin plywood... looking online at some of the wood suppliers etc.. the thinnest ply I've seen is 1/8" Anyone know a source for thin ply.. I had 1/16 or similar in mind.. but anything less than 1/8 could be considered.

I have some ornament designs that I've thought about making backer for that could be painted.. While 1/8 would work I think it would also make the ornament kind of bulky and heavier.. while I have made ornaments from 1/4 and it worked well.. I just thought if there was a thin ply that could be used to cut the ornament and then use the 1/8" as a backer would make a nice slim ornament.  

Anderson Plywood in Anaheim, Ca. They have it down to 3/64". My neighbor bought some. I was amazed.

It might be listed as International Trading Co.

Edited by OCtoolguy

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.. I may try it with just the 1/8 BB ply I have and see how it goes.. Honestly it doesn't need to be wood I suppose since I planned on painting it. I'm just not sure what's out there that's reasonably priced..

Edit to add: I made these ornaments on my laser... and would likely cut the backer on the laser too. The original design was for a large wall hanging but I resized these to be about 4- 3/4 tall.. The design also had a slightly larger backer.. I didn't intend to make the backers but the detail is so small that they're hard to see good without a contrasting color on the back.. So that is why I was wanting the thin ply to use as a backer and paint it.. I may scrap the whole idea and just make them the wall hangings that they was designed to be.. I just like to "try" to make things different than the original design..  I purchased a bundle pack of these themed crosses ( about 75 different designs ) that was designed for laser / cnc.. and just playing.. I think most of these could be scroll sawn as well.. I know they could with slight modifications.. Not sure they could be this small sized though..

DC5EB81A-4DC5-41A9-BDD6-F08196F2BD76.jpeg.a3c47eb994357a162d66a9700a335256.jpeg

1B45BCE7-B016-4050-989A-89F7511421C1.jpeg.d5dc65899cf587717f944383dc442587.jpeg

2CCDEEBA-237A-4E26-8960-882B703F7DEC.jpeg.a25f3142aadad4220ddeaf85e0fbbaa5.jpeg

Edited by kmmcrafts

Hey Kevin,  have gotten 3/32" aviation plywood at our local MICHAEL'S.  It is sold under the name of REVEL Company, I use it to cut out book marks.

I haven't had to purchase any for a while, so I don't know if they still carry it or what th price would be. When I purchasd the plywood, it came in 9 x 11 inch sheets.

Good Luck!

Rick

Kevin, check with Denny Knappen. He attachs all his blades to a piece of cardboard that is very stout but still thin. He sells it for using as backer material. It's like the stuff they use for matting when framing. I think it's just what you want.

Edited by OCtoolguy

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

Kevin, check with Denny Knappen. He attachs all his blades to a piece of cardboard that is very stout but still thin. He sells it for using as backer material. It's like the stuff they use for matting when framing. I think it's just what you want.

I think it is Matting from framing.... I think he is in the framing business also.. It is good stuff... I use "Poster Board" from any store, even Wallymart,,, where I meat my kind of people.. on most pictures I scroll... Never had a problem with it..

I buy "thin Fin" at a local supplier. That reminds me I need more. 1.5mm (.059") I have also purchased thinner than that at either Michaels or the former AC Moore.  Maybe a real hobby shop.

I am currently making some segmentation ornaments and I have some leftover Veneer that I am using as a backer.

What I have also done is re-saw some thin slices then run them through the drum sander to the thinnest I have done is about .040".

Edited by Rolf

• 2 months later...

Here in Canada the cost of 1/8 BB used to be $16 for a 60x60 sheet.  I just looked and the new price is $38.50.  1/4 inch doubled to 52.50.

A good thing I stocked up.

KJP hardwoods in Ottawa only has 1/8 in 12x20 at $3.05 so if you get enough for 60x60 it is $45.65 a sheet.  

The prices as sure to go up even further so if you have a source I would stock up.

KJP also sells 1/16 too.