Going To Try Super Sharps Brand Blades

kmmcrafts

I finally decided to order some of those expensive blades.. I've been going to try them now for 2-3 years.. I've heard a lot of folks say they're awesome blades.. some say they're good but not so good as to pay the high price for them.. I guess I'll have to post my experience not only with the blades but also for my experience with P.S. Wood.. though I've ordered bandsaw blades and a few other things from them with good experience..

I used these blades about two years ago. I really liked the blades and the way they cut and their durability, but they are not good enough to justify the price IMHO. If I had a specific use for them (I'm currently working on a bear pattern that has a lot of long jagged runs, breaking a blade in the middle is a PIA, so in this instance I would be temped) I might buy them again, but for now... no.

Let us know how they work for you and your application. :)

Yeah they are limited on sizes and styles.. nothing in a spiral yet that I seen.. I think I remember hearing the number 2 being like the number 3 in most blades.. I don't know for sure.. I ordered the number 2 and 5.. I mostly use number 3's and occasionally 5's in both Pegas MGT and FD-UR.. only spiral I use is a 2/0 FD - NS.. or comparable Olsen.. I find the Pegas spirals to be too brittle or ? and I seem to break many more of them than the others...   

I sent them a message yesterday to see where they were made. I guess I misworded it. 

PS Wood Machines <pswood@pswood.com>
Tue 10/19/2021 3:50 PM
They are a precision ground blade.

---
Thank you,
Beth
PS Wood Machines
3032 Industrial Blvd
Bethel Park, PA 15102
1-800-939-4414
>
> Are your PS scrollsaw blades stamped/milled with Swiss steel in the
> US?

Be nice to see your thoughts

5 minutes ago, Mark SW said:

I sent them a message yesterday to see where they were made. I guess I misworded it. 

PS Wood Machines <pswood@pswood.com>
Tue 10/19/2021 3:50 PM
They are a precision ground blade.

---
Thank you,
Beth
PS Wood Machines
3032 Industrial Blvd
Bethel Park, PA 15102
1-800-939-4414
>
> Are your PS scrollsaw blades stamped/milled with Swiss steel in the
> US?

Be nice to see your thoughts

Olsen make the precision ground blades in their PGT series blades.. they are awesome blades but have a draw back for me.. one being the smallest size is a #5 and second is the blade ends are larger than the rest of the blade so you have to have a pretty good size hole to drill which is fine on some projects but useless if doing veining type stuff.. 

I'm curious what I will get with these super sharps..  

When I bought my first used Ex21 I got a ton of blades with it. A good amount of them were the PS blades in all sizes. I had heard that they were supposed to be the "cat's rearend" so I looked forward to trying them. I had been using Pegas #5mgt on 1 1/2" mahogany compound cuts. I was disappointed in how they worked so I went back to my Pegas blades. I was not impressed.

That's interesting Ray, All the postings on here and FB etc. of those that use them or have tried them say they love the blades but also some say the high price deters them from using them as they aren't that much better than the Pegas.. I guess I'll see what my thoughts are once they show up.. 

Got an email this morning that they shipped out today via First Class Mail.. Showing arrival on Saturday.. 

Soo, I finally open up the mailer to check out the blades this morning. They come with plastic storage tubes like many of us buy to store our blades which is nice but also if you use a ton of blades eventually you'll be overloaded with those tubes.. other thing to note was they do not come all bundled / wired together.. maybe the larger quantity ones do I don't know.. Sadly I could use a couple (3) storage tubes to put in the slots on the Excaliburs onboard blade holder holes but these tubes was to large to fit.. 

First run on the blades today stack cutting 4 1/8" stacks BBply of ornaments. As many of you know the glue in plywood is tough on saw blades.. I normally can cut two sets of ornaments from a Pegas #3 or #5.. but usually toward the end of the second stack the blade is getting quite dull and should be changed.. I usually just push on through but sometimes change it before the second set is complete. Anyway the #2 super sharps are definitely sharp and last longer.. I was able to cut 3 sets of ornaments and possibly could have done slightly more but it definitely was not tracking turns etc. as well nearing the end of the second stack so I really was pushing the blade beyond for the 3rd set.. Longer lasting than the Pegas but maybe only by 10-15%... 

Cut was nice and smooth along the sides of the cut.. bottom piece not so much.. since there is no reverse teeth there will be much needed sanding of fuzzies.. in most cases with the Pegas blades little to no sanding after the cut due to me normally pre-sanding.. 

Did a test cut with the #5 cutting same stacked material and not at all impressed.. The #5 seemed to cut slower than a #5 Pegas and was giving me some tare out on the bottom.. I think they would probably work well with solid lumber but just guessing on that as I haven't tried yet.. probably won't be working with any solid lumber for a while as my return customers are starting to order their large quantity ornament orders.. just got a 150 pcs order last night so.. that'll take be about 3 - 3.5 days of cutting BBply, LOL

I wouldn't say they are a definite no use blade for my works but for the added price and a cleaner cut from Pegas I'll continue with Pegas...  

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Soo, I finally open up the mailer to check out the blades this morning. They come with plastic storage tubes like many of us buy to store our blades which is nice but also if you use a ton of blades eventually you'll be overloaded with those tubes.. other thing to note was they do not come all bundled / wired together.. maybe the larger quantity ones do I don't know.. Sadly I could use a couple (3) storage tubes to put in the slots on the Excaliburs onboard blade holder holes but these tubes was to large to fit.. 

First run on the blades today stack cutting 4 1/8" stacks BBply of ornaments. As many of you know the glue in plywood is tough on saw blades.. I normally can cut two sets of ornaments from a Pegas #3 or #5.. but usually toward the end of the second stack the blade is getting quite dull and should be changed.. I usually just push on through but sometimes change it before the second set is complete. Anyway the #2 super sharps are definitely sharp and last longer.. I was able to cut 3 sets of ornaments and possibly could have done slightly more but it definitely was not tracking turns etc. as well nearing the end of the second stack so I really was pushing the blade beyond for the 3rd set.. Longer lasting than the Pegas but maybe only by 10-15%... 

Cut was nice and smooth along the sides of the cut.. bottom piece not so much.. since there is no reverse teeth there will be much needed sanding of fuzzies.. in most cases with the Pegas blades little to no sanding after the cut due to me normally pre-sanding.. 

Did a test cut with the #5 cutting same stacked material and not at all impressed.. The #5 seemed to cut slower than a #5 Pegas and was giving me some tare out on the bottom.. I think they would probably work well with solid lumber but just guessing on that as I haven't tried yet.. probably won't be working with any solid lumber for a while as my return customers are starting to order their large quantity ornament orders.. just got a 150 pcs order last night so.. that'll take be about 3 - 3.5 days of cutting BBply, LOL

I wouldn't say they are a definite no use blade for my works but for the added price and a cleaner cut from Pegas I'll continue with Pegas...  

I was happy to hear that I was right. Thanks. I pretty much found the same. I was cutting a stack of 1/4" walnut & maple 4 plies thick. The Pegas #5mgt did a much better job and was more steerable. 

I think the Super Sharps are designed for thicker solid wood and not for plywood types.  If I was cutting plywood, I would use a reverse or ultra reverse type blade to reduce splinters.  From the Super Sharp website --

"Some blade manufacturers do not "set" their saw-teeth, while others set the teeth only one way. We set our teeth both ways, and also insert a raker tooth to ensure perfect tracking and clean cuts every time."

This design works well for cutting thicker wood and clearing the kerf but not well for plywood.  

Edited by Sycamore67

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

I think the Super Sharps are designed for thicker solid wood and not for plywood types.  If I was cutting plywood, I would use a reverse or ultra reverse type blade to reduce splinters.  From the Super Sharp website --

"Some blade manufacturers do not "set" their saw-teeth, while others set the teeth only one way. We set our teeth both ways, and also insert a raker tooth to ensure perfect tracking and clean cuts every time."

This design works well for cutting thicker wood and clearing the kerf but not well for plywood.  

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.. and originally bought for solid wood.. I just so happen to be cutting 150 ornaments for a bulk order and thought I'd try.. The smaller blade worked really well other than lots of fuzzies on the back of the bottom stack.. I intend to try them on solid wood.. might be a long time from now though as I just got another bulk order for another 150 ornaments.. it's plywood season for me probably until the end of the year, LOL

Thanks for the tidbit from their site, I didn't see that.. but I did know that a reverse tooth design is best for ply.. 

Working on a new project for a customer. 3/4" & 1/2" oak. So I decided to give the PS blades another try. I'm also learning to use my Hegner saw. So far I must say they cut well and not hard to guide on straight line cuts. But they do seem to wear out fast. I have nothing to compare to. I'm using #7's. So far so good.

17 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Working on a new project for a customer. 3/4" & 1/2" oak. So I decided to give the PS blades another try. I'm also learning to use my Hegner saw. So far I must say they cut well and not hard to guide on straight line cuts. But they do seem to wear out fast. I have nothing to compare to. I'm using #7's. So far so good.

Do you happen to have smaller blades? I fined some cases a smaller blade will cut a bit faster and last longer.. 

Thanks for updating this.. I have yet to try these on solid wood..

This is what I'm working on at this point. It's from a pattern that I found online but the customer wanted it to be taller and narrower than the pattern. I am adding a pic of what the pattern would have looked like. So, lot's of calculations on this one. There will be 12 octagonal rings around the inside of it. More to come.

20211029_174753.jpg

Elevated Basket Pic.png

10 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

This is what I'm working on at this point. It's from a pattern that I found online but the customer wanted it to be taller and narrower than the pattern. I am adding a pic of what the pattern would have looked like. So, lot's of calculations on this one. There will be 12 octagonal rings around the inside of it. More to come.

20211029_174753.jpg

Elevated Basket Pic.png

That'll be nice.. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.