King 16"

Hawk

After my flood incident I finally got things dried out, the foot pedal for the King was the only casualty. Yesterday I finally had a chance to get some time on the King, first thing I noticed this ain't a Delta P-20 (lol). I have it clamped to a tool stand right now. Put on a Flying Dutchman 2/0 blade. I actually snapped a couple when putting tension on them, but once I figured out where I needed to start before adding tension things went better. 

I still have a vibration issue on the faster speeds but on slower no vibration at all. I really like the table, I keep the P-20 table waxed to help the wood slide around, no need for that with the King so far. I'm wondering if the vibration on the higher speeds would diminish if I mounted it to the stand made for it?

All in all  once I learn this saw I know I'll be quite happy with it.

Chris

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

After my flood incident I finally got things dried out, the foot pedal for the King was the only casualty. Yesterday I finally had a chance to get some time on the King, first thing I noticed this ain't a Delta P-20 (lol). I have it clamped to a tool stand right now. Put on a Flying Dutchman 2/0 blade. I actually snapped a couple when putting tension on them, but once I figured out where I needed to start before adding tension things went better. 

I still have a vibration issue on the faster speeds but on slower no vibration at all. I really like the table, I keep the P-20 table waxed to help the wood slide around, no need for that with the King so far. I'm wondering if the vibration on the higher speeds would diminish if I mounted it to the stand made for it?

All in all  once I learn this saw I know I'll be quite happy with it.

Chris

All scroll saws have some degree of vibration. It may be a matter of adjusting the aggression out of the motor. I've got a 16 and a 21 Excalibur and they both have sweet spots at just over 1/2 throttle. A better mounting will definitely help. I have both of my saws mounted on homemade carts that sit on foam shop flooring. 

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

All scroll saws have some degree of vibration. It may be a matter of adjusting the aggression out of the motor. I've got a 16 and a 21 Excalibur and they both have sweet spots at just over 1/2 throttle. A better mounting will definitely help. I have both of my saws mounted on homemade carts that sit on foam shop flooring. 

In addressing the aggression of the motor, I see it can be rotated clockwise and counter clockwise.  Which way is less?  And how does it affect the cut?

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

In addressing the aggression of the motor, I see it can be rotated clockwise and counter clockwise.  Which way is less?  And how does it affect the cut?

Moving it clockwise or counter clock wise will change  the  angle of the blade when it addresses the wood. This will also change how "aggressive" the cut is. I keep mine at 90 degrees to the table. Seems to work best for my applications.

I also had to remove the screws and change up to the other set of holes.. I got frustrated trying to turn the motor with the screw driver.. I keep my table slicker than snot.. I used my mini square at the back side of the blade and turn the motor but my issue is I have my saw raised up in the back and I had a hard time getting the square not to slide around and down to the blade.. SO what I do is.. loosen those screws just barely enough to turn the motor. Turn the saws speed down to the lowest setting.. Run the saw on the slowest speed while turning the motor.. you can clearly see the blade doing the rocking motion.. might help to see it if you have a sheet of paper or something on the other side of the blade to help see it.  The blade will kinda be blurred but turning the motor while running you can get it to look less and less or more blurred.. find the spot that looks the least blurred. Probably not the ideal way to get it perfect 90 to the table but it's pretty spot on going at it this way for me.. 

36 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm hoping to get a chance this weekend to do some more work with the King.  Who knows, this may even replace my Delta as my primary saw.

Chris

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't. They are so much smoother. And if you really want to tie a ribbon on it, buy a set of Pegas blade holders for it. Much better than what comes on it.

27 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't. They are so much smoother. And if you really want to tie a ribbon on it, buy a set of Pegas blade holders for it. Much better than what comes on it.

I've been really looking into those. I read the Steve Good review. I was really on the fence, but I think I will pull the trigger on them and get them ordered next week.

Finally had a chance to work on the King. I tried turning the motor like suggested,  a bit of trial and error but I managed to eliminate about 60%of the vibration.  As I learn more about the saw I might do better down the line.

There does seem to be a sweet spot at about 70% speed. I know it'll take time to dial it in, but I gotta say I'm quite impressed so far. I do gotta say it's much easier to square the table with the blade than my P-20. 

A huge thanks to everyone who responded to this thread, the information helped a ton.

Chris 

48 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Finally had a chance to work on the King. I tried turning the motor like suggested,  a bit of trial and error but I managed to eliminate about 60%of the vibration.  As I learn more about the saw I might do better down the line.

There does seem to be a sweet spot at about 70% speed. I know it'll take time to dial it in, but I gotta say I'm quite impressed so far. I do gotta say it's much easier to square the table with the blade than my P-20. 

A huge thanks to everyone who responded to this thread, the information helped a ton.

Chris 

You've got a truly great saw and once you get to know it's quirks it'll serve you well for a very long time. Do think about those Pegas chucks though. That might take some of the 40% away.

Well, got some more time on the King and I must admit I'm very impressed with thus saw. As much as I hate to admit it , it's quite a step up from my P-20. I would have never believed that anything could beat the Delta but I'm finding that the King is as easy on blade changing, and with top feed setting the bottom of the blade ,for me is as easy as the Delta.

I'm thinking that the King will be my main saw, go figure 🤔 

Chris