Corner advice

CSull

I am working on a project and decided to mount it in a rectangle one piece frame.  I set up my bit and bearing in my router for the rabbet and all went well except the corners where the bearing does not allow a 90degree cut. I used a small chisel and exacto knife but the corners are not especially good looking. Any tips or suggestions? Is there a tool for finishing the corners?  Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_3828.JPG

39 minutes ago, CSull said:

I am working on a project and decided to mount it in a rectangle one piece frame.  I set up my bit and bearing in my router for the rabbet and all went well except the corners where the bearing does not allow a 90degree cut. I used a small chisel and exacto knife but the corners are not especially good looking. Any tips or suggestions? Is there a tool for finishing the corners?  Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_3828.JPG

Why one piece? 

One piece frame....yikes, what a waste of a nice wide piece of wood.

Yep, corner chisel would work well, but a good sharp regular chisel should have done a perfectly adequate job since the rabbet is on the back side of the frame.  Beside you, who will see it?

Invest in a, or build your own, precise miter sled for your table saw.  That, along with a good sharp finish saw blade will give you nice accurate miters and you can make good looking frames of all types and sizes.  

1 hour ago, FrankEV said:

Sure, but you would need to round the corners of the panel to fit.  Not a common practice at all! 

Well, not a common practice to make frames out of a solid piece of wood,, I know it is done,,, but not common... If I did,,, I could round the corners of the picture on my belt sander in less than 30 seconds.. Or cut the rabbet wide enough that the picture fits without rounding the corners.. 

And Frank,, you are welcome in my house anytime... but don't go taking any pictures off the wall to see how I did the rabbets... 😅

Edited by Scrappile

I typically make frames using 4 pieces that are mitered and have a rabbet cut, but sometimes use the router to cut the rabbet after the frame is glued together. 

I either round the panel that is going in or use chisels to make the corner square. since it is on the back, perfection isn't necessarily my goal.

@FrankEV

That had to be the best sled I have seen, both the video and the actual construction,  Thank you for that.

For those who need it the actual youtube video link is 

ROFL, this forum does not allow the link to show, but paste all this together with no spaces

https://youtu    .be     /CJCSA2SZt5s

"

7 hours ago, JimErn said:

@FrankEV

That had to be the best sled I have seen, both the video and the actual construction,  Thank you for that.

For those who need it the actual youtube video link is 

ROFL, this forum does not allow the link to show, but paste all this together with no spaces

https://youtu    .be     /CJCSA2SZt5s

"

That's nuts Jim. I've posted and linked youtube videos many times here. You must have done something wrong. I just do a copy and paste of the youtube address and never had a problem.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:21 PM, CSull said:

IMG_3828.JPG

I’ve done it. Use a sharp, wide chisel. It will work fine. There is nothing wrong with trying different things. Sometimes it’s fun.