Heat resistant finish

timelett

I'm not sure exactly what would be "the best" finish but, I will say I highly doubt a "top coat" finish would hold up without being damaged in some way. Top coat meaning clear sprays or clear coats.. I would think maybe the best option would be a oil type finish such as BLO or Danish oil etc.. 

I'm far from being any expert in finishing so maybe someone will add to what I have suggested..

There is high temp paint available, but I think it only comes in Black☹️.

I don't really think wood Trivets are intended to be used as a hot pads although they do sell bamboo trivets for that reason.  

As Kevin said, mayybe just a oil finish would be the best after a fairly long drying time.  I know I can stand hot pans directly out of the oven on my cutting boards that are just protected by cutting board oil with out scorching.

Edit: Google says oil based varnish and polyurethane is resistant to heat...but I not betting it won't scorch if the pan is toooo hot.

Edited by FrankEV

I first dip my trivets in mineral oil. Then set on a rack to drip for a few days. Then I wipe off and then wipe with a mineral oil and beeswax mix.  Wait overnight and buff. Mine has been on my table and in use for a few years.  Too much beeswax in that mix and you will find yourself picking dry wax out of all the nook and crannies. 
I do a similar process for cutting boards. Only more mineral oil and more soaking. 

Edited by Roberta Moreton

5 minutes ago, Roberta Moreton said:

I first dip my trivets in mineral oil. Then set on a rack to drip for a few days. Then I wipe off and then wipe with a mineral oil and beeswax mix.  Wait overnight and buff. Mine has been on my table and in use for a few years.  Too much beeswax in that mix and you will find yourself picking dry wax out of all the nook and crannies. 
I do a similar process for cutting boards. Only more mineral oil and more soaking. 

When you get too much wax in the nooks and crannies use a hair dryer and melt it.. the air pressure from the hair dryer will blow the melted drips off the back side so have a paper towel down for easier cleanup.. I used to use this mix on all my clocks and ornaments.. hair dryer works well for that excess..

8 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

When you get too much wax in the nooks and crannies use a hair dryer and melt it.. the air pressure from the hair dryer will blow the melted drips off the back side so have a paper towel down for easier cleanup.. I used to use this mix on all my clocks and ornaments.. hair dryer works well for that excess..

Common,,, who has a hair dryer in their shop,,and who has the bravery to use their wife's... I use my  $9. Harbor Freight heat gun that I have had for years and years...😇

14 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Common,,, who has a hair dryer in their shop,,and who has the bravery to use their wife's... I use my  $9. Harbor Freight heat gun that I have had for years and years...😇

Maybe your heat gun works better than mine.. I have the cheapest one HF offered at the time.. low is hot enough to melt the wax.. but doesn't blow enough air to blow the melted wax out of the nooks and crannies. Put it on high and you can start a fire with it, LOL.. so in my case.. the hair drier work best for that job.. Just wish HF would sell hair dryers.. lots of weird looks at the bald guy in the beauty store buying a hair dryer..😂😂  SO with all the weird looks I went back to the hair spray.. That have a brand called "Big Sexy Hair".. so I bought that too.. at the register I mentioned I didn't know they had "big sexy hair in a can but I couldn't wait to try it and show the wife her new man with big sexy hair.. Everyone on the store was laughing for some reason.. and once I got home I realized that the big sexy hair was just pattern glue.. should have taken it back for faulse advertising as there was no hair in the can I got..LOL

I have had my HF heat gun from way back when my son and I were into RC airplanes... I built them he flew them.... He was round 12 at the time we got in to it.. I used it to heat shrink the mylar covering for the planes.  He is now retired Navy after 22 years and flying for FedEx for the past 5 or so years.,, so mine is old... Doesn't get a lot of use anymore  But I still drag it out on occasion.   And he just this year got back into RC planes... A whole lot has changed since we first started...  The radio and controls are now so sophisticated compared to the old days..

I use a $15 H/D heat gun. I keep it plugged in and hanging from one of my shelves. It has two settings. Warm and so frigging hot you could melt the sun. I really have to be careful. When I was in the tool business, I used to sell the Master brand heat guns in body shops. They sold for over $100. Not sure what the difference is.

6 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

How about electric shavers? I need one. Razor blades have gone to the moon.

Never liked shaving with an electric razor... but I only shave a couple times a week.. on my neck and around my beard... A blade lasts me for months...  I have only had a beard since 1966....  some day I may shave it.. but I am afraid my wife and nobody else in the family would know me...

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Never liked shaving with an electric razor... but I only shave a couple times a week.. on my neck and around my beard... A blade lasts me for months...  I have only had a beard since 1966....  some day I may shave it.. but I am afraid my wife and nobody else in the family would know me...

I grew a full beard in 72. Had most of it ever since. I shave once a week so blades last quite a while but my old Gillette Sensor is getting hard to find blades for. I thought I might just buy an electric to use in between. I'll hit the Goodwill for a used Norelco. 

1 hour ago, timelett said:

I'ts all good,I can't comment on beards ,but I still have hair at 65.

And a heat gun, 1.00 at yard sale,has settings from 1_5 .I think Dan's idea of mineral spirits, but what mix at 50/50?

It's 50% BLO ( Boiled Linseed Oil ) and 50% Mineral Spirits which is almost the same thing as Watco Danish Oil.. Danish oil does have a bit of polyurethane and some dryers added to it for a bit ( supposedly ) more protection against the elements.. Both probably excellent for the intended purpose of the trivet.. If you have either already on hand.. 

Good luck with it, Maybe some pictures of the finished piece?  

1 hour ago, timelett said:

Some one mentioned that linseed oil is flammable, and I'm shur mineral spirits are,maby not when dry.

I think Frank had a idea with the cutting board oil.

I think any oil will be flammable.. heck.. last I knew so was wood.. cutting board oil is nothing more than food grade mineral oil and doesn't ever really dry. Paint and other finishes are flammable too before they dry as well. 

The mineral spirits will evaporate I believe and just leave the linsed oil..  There is a Watco Butcher block oil but it has some sort of varnish or clear coat sealer.. great stuff but I would think the heat might melt that coating on a trivet..

Beeswax will burn as well think candles.. But all of these flammables I would think would be safe for a hot pan.. but might be an issue if you put flame on it.. but that goes for wood material too.. 

I did a video how to make the cutting board oil a few years back.. you can view it here. https://www.kevskrafts.com/post/511661656292/how-to-make-homemade-wood-finish-using

On 10/24/2021 at 7:37 PM, Scrappile said:

Dan,, that is a fine looking trivet... one I would hang on my wall... Looks like a lot of work..

Paul, that is where it hangs when we are not using it. It was a bit of work, pattern came from and old (2005 maybe) Woodworking and Craft magazine. I did it the second year I started scrolling. To be honest, I'm surprised it has lasted this long.