Wax your scrollsaw table?

WolfmoonCT

If any of you wax your saw table, to keep it rust free, and make the wood glide over it better, Could you tell me what you use, and how often you do it? I'm using Johnson Paste Wax, and I'm finding I need to do it every 3-4 weeks or I can tell the wood doesn't slide as smooth over the table anymore....

Anyone else do this?

I use Johnson Paste Wax too. I do it mostly for the slickness. I also add the wax to my wood zero clearance inserts too. I find it helps with the friction.

I suppose it depends on how often you use your machine. If you use it all the time, I think 3-4 weeks sounds about right. I'd just do it as often as you feel needs it.

Between applications, you might want to clean off the previous wax with WD-40 and a scrub pad. The wax will attract fine dust and over time will make it a bit gritty.

I use car wax, I find it works the best. With the other waxes, I had to wax the table more than I liked. But now that I use MaQuires(sp) and the electric buffer,I only have to apply it about three times a year, if that. It is one of the more expensive car waxes, but it's what I use on my vehicles and I had it on hand when I needed to wax my saw, so I used it. And have kept on using it ever since with great results.

Len

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...