Watco Danish Oil Differences

kmmcrafts

Okay so I discovered there is two different types of Danish oil.. I used to buy my Danish oil locally at my lumber supplier or box store.. During the onset of Covid and the lockdowns my lumber supplier shut down business for a short time and I needed Danish oil so I turn to the internet and found the best price ( at the time ) to be on Home Depots website with free delivery.. Though you could only order by the case 2 gallon at a time.. I noticed there was two types of natural color.. one is VOC 350 and the other is VOC 275.. Not really knowing what I had been using I just did the rock paper scissors and guessed 😂 .. It was no different than what I had been using.. Then when I ran out again this spring it was hard to find any Danish oil.. I happen to stop in the local lumber yard and they had quarts.. and only a few.. so I bought all but one.. didn't want to hog them all, LOL.. Then a month or so later I seen the one kind was available on HD site but not the other.. Not really remembering what I had bought the last time or even what one I bought this time.. I just open up the new can a month or so ago and been meaning to post my observation here but forget to do it in the evening when I come in, LOL

Anyway, just did some dipping and thought I'd better post this info up.. This new stuff I'm using seems like it's much better quality.. seems to have more oil? it's a bit more thicker than the other stuff.. Seems like it dries a bit quicker and it gives a lot more luster to the dried / finished piece.. and a darker tint to it when pouring it out than the others I had used.. I'm really liking this stuff much more than the other that I had been using for many years.. I need to look up my order and see what one it is that I bought last time.. It feels and looks so much more ( I don't even know the word to use ) richer? 

Anyway, maybe you all already know this and I'm just now learning something but thought I'd bring it up because I thought for the last 15 years that Danish oil was all the same ( other than the colored / stained mixes. ) but they are not.. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Okay so I discovered there is two different types of Danish oil.. I used to buy my Danish oil locally at my lumber supplier or box store.. During the onset of Covid and the lockdowns my lumber supplier shut down business for a short time and I needed Danish oil so I turn to the internet and found the best price ( at the time ) to be on Home Depots website with free delivery.. Though you could only order by the case 2 gallon at a time.. I noticed there was two types of natural color.. one is VOC 350 and the other is VOC 275.. Not really knowing what I had been using I just did the rock paper scissors and guessed 😂 .. It was no different than what I had been using.. Then when I ran out again this spring it was hard to find any Danish oil.. I happen to stop in the local lumber yard and they had quarts.. and only a few.. so I bought all but one.. didn't want to hog them all, LOL.. Then a month or so later I seen the one kind was available on HD site but not the other.. Not really remembering what I had bought the last time or even what one I bought this time.. I just open up the new can a month or so ago and been meaning to post my observation here but forget to do it in the evening when I come in, LOL

Anyway, just did some dipping and thought I'd better post this info up.. This new stuff I'm using seems like it's much better quality.. seems to have more oil? it's a bit more thicker than the other stuff.. Seems like it dries a bit quicker and it gives a lot more luster to the dried / finished piece.. and a darker tint to it when pouring it out than the others I had used.. I'm really liking this stuff much more than the other that I had been using for many years.. I need to look up my order and see what one it is that I bought last time.. It feels and looks so much more ( I don't even know the word to use ) richer? 

Anyway, maybe you all already know this and I'm just now learning something but thought I'd bring it up because I thought for the last 15 years that Danish oil was all the same ( other than the colored / stained mixes. ) but they are not.. 

That's all well and good to know but without more info, what good is your report? What brand, VOC, etc? I have been using Watco in natural for most everything I've done and then if needed, I spray with Zinnser's spray shellac. I'm definitely not any sort of an expert on finishing so any tidbit of info I can get is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

That's all well and good to know but without more info, what good is your report? What brand, VOC, etc? I have been using Watco in natural for most everything I've done and then if needed, I spray with Zinnser's spray shellac. I'm definitely not any sort of an expert on finishing so any tidbit of info I can get is greatly appreciated.

I just wanted to get the message out there before I forgot again.. I discovered the difference a couple months ago.. I intend to look to see if the cans say anything different on them.. since I still have the old cans.. I can also look in my bookkeeping to look up the receipt to see which one I bought last.. Just been busy and don't think of it unless I'm actually using / finishing.. I do my finishing in the morning so I can keep an eye on the drying as sometimes it'll seep out droplets from the wood grain and if I don't catch it it'll dry on it then leave me a clump of shinny clear in one spot, LOL

So the one I'm currently using ( one I like better ) is this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-gal-Natural-350-VOC-Danish-Oil-2-Pack-65732/202067184

The one I had been using is this one.. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-Gal-Natural-Danish-Oil-2-Pack-65731/202067183

There is actually another one that is quite pricey here.. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-gal-Natural-275-VOC-Danish-Oil-2-Pack-242217/204793060 

Reading the cans.. I see no difference in the label between the cans other than the sticker with the bar code.. 

Here's a youtube video that explains some things. It appears that Watco is a bi-product of Rustoleum. I also found out that the VOC count is determined by the size of container more than the product itself. It's a count of the particles of carcinogenic compounds in the mix. They are capped at 380 in gallons.

Yes VOC's ( Volatile organic compounds ) can be different from container size's.. but I was talking about 3 different Watco Danish Oils.. they are different because they all are gallon containers and each has a different VOC.. Yet there is little to no info on the cans or in explaining the different purposes etc. I'm curious what the difference really is.. I can say the newer to me stuff is thicker.. like it has more oil or poly in it? who knows.. they all seem to have the same ingredients as far as I could tell.. though gotta be honest I may have missed something looking at the two different cans because I didn't have my reading glasses and they make the print small.. It's probably the same stuff but different mix ratios? 

14 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Here's a youtube video that explains some things. It appears that Watco is a bi-product of Rustoleum. I also found out that the VOC count is determined by the size of container more than the product itself. It's a count of the particles of carcinogenic compounds in the mix. They are capped at 380 in gallons.

Thanks for the link to the video.  Very educational.  I think I need to bookmark that for review occasionally.