one from Tombstone

heppnerguy

When we used to go to Arizona a few years ago, we went to Tombstone every year, we had friends coming and visit, so between the Grand Canyon and Tombstone they just about saw all of Arizona. I really like the cemetery with the sign on the headstone. Also to visit you must leave your guns( if you carry) at the entrance because there is no more room in the cemetery. Very well done Dick.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, munzieb said:

Great job on the plaque. Just saw the Curt Russell version of the film again. I really enjoyed it but still can't get my head wrapped around them wearing the black long coats in AZ?

That  was the style back then. Tombstone is not nearly as hot as it is in Phoenix or Tucson, as it is quite a bit higher in altitude. Come see us and I will take you there. It is a really fun and interesting place to visit. Tombstone was started because of the discovery of silver and they have silver mines all under Tombstone of which one can take a great mine tour there also.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 11/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, Dak0ta52 said:

Great project and a great movie. One of my all-time favorites. This project is something your grandson will cherish forever!

My grandson was so excited about that trip and he has watched that movie a bunch of times and is very familiar with the history of Tombstone. He is in his upper 20's  so it is not a kid thing for him.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 11/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, scrollerpete said:

When we used to go to Arizona a few years ago, we went to Tombstone every year, we had friends coming and visit, so between the Grand Canyon and Tombstone they just about saw all of Arizona. I really like the cemetery with the sign on the headstone. Also to visit you must leave your guns( if you carry) at the entrance because there is no more room in the cemetery. Very well done Dick.

I do not know how many times I have been there with visitors but I have yet to become  bored by going there. Did you do the silver mine tours while you were there? That is always the first place I head for when I go there.  The cemetery is truly a fun place to visit, for sure. One of the Earp boys is buried in Portland, Oregon, as will as Sacajawia's son that she had on the winter she and her husband signed on as guides for the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1805 but he is buried in Southern Oregon

Dick

heppnerguy

22 hours ago, wombatie said:

He will love and cherish it forever.  Great work Dick.

Marg

I believe he will, also. He is such a historian and has seen the film 'Tombstone' many times so that had a lot to do with his excitement. He is in his upper 20's so no loner a kid with fantasies.

Dick

heppnerguy

13 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Nice pattern, nicely cut!!

Recently read the history of the actual encounter....the movie was great, and I know they dramatized stuff, but dang they took a lot of liberties.

The Earps and Doc Holiday were charged with murder after the gun fight. There was a lot of drama added to the movie to make it interesting and that is truly was. I read where one history author wrote that Wyatt and Doc Holiday had robbed a stage coach and The  Clanton's knew about it and that was the real reason for the gun fight. Don't know if anyone can be sure of exactly what happened but I found that rather interesting

Dick

heppnerguy

3 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Hummm like I said, Dick, The thing I remember most of Tombstone was the "Bucket of Blood" saloon.... You need to check it out next time... wait for me,,, we can raise a few....

Tried to research it and maybe it is not there anymore... maybe it never was... you know my old mind.... Not so good anymore..

That name seems to  be familiar to me too. There are only a few original buildings from that time frame still on the street there. If I remember correctly, they had a couple of fires there that destroyed a lot of the original buildings from that time frame.  The newspaper that was running during the Earp error is still there and has a weekly news paper still printing news papers.

Dick

heppnerguy

13 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

The Earps and Doc Holiday were charged with murder after the gun fight. There was a lot of drama added to the movie to make it interesting and that is truly was. I read where one history author wrote that Wyatt and Doc Holiday had robbed a stage coach and The  Clanton's knew about it and that was the real reason for the gun fight. Don't know if anyone can be sure of exactly what happened but I found that rather interesting

Dick

heppnerguy

A stagecoach *had* been robbed, and there were rumors that Doc and Wyatt were in on it, disinformation put out by Sheriff Behan who was running against Wyatt.  Wyatt was a provisionary Fed Marshall at the time, I believe, and was working to track down the robbers, who kept showing up dead.  From other causes/disputes, but Behan ran with it.  Wyatt had made an agreement with the Clantons and McLauries to help track down the cowboys responsible, for which they'd all take an even cut of the Wells Fargo bounty and Wyatt would get credit for solving the crime that Behan couldn't.  Ike Clanton was a notorious alcoholic and not the sharpest crayon in the bunch, and got it in his head that Wyatt was going around talking about their agreement.  Being ranchers, the Clantons and McLauries would often allow "herds" of cattle (mostly stolen from Mexico by rustlers) to graze on their land for a little cut of the sale of the cattle.  Nobody really looked too hard at where cows came from back then, even the Army.  If word got out that they were helping hunt down other cowboys, it would've ruined them (best case) and put them in the crosshairs of vengeful rustlers/cowboys.  Ike kept drinking, kept freaking out, and convinced some friends of his that Wyatt was doing bad things.  Threats were made, common sense was ignored, and a shootout happened in an empty lot.  During the trial, there was a lot of conflicting information put out about the shootout, as witnesses were more interested in ducking than recording, but the Earps were eventually exonerated which led to the escalating feud between the Earps, Doc, and the cowboys.

1 hour ago, RabidAlien said:

A stagecoach *had* been robbed, and there were rumors that Doc and Wyatt were in on it, disinformation put out by Sheriff Behan who was running against Wyatt.  Wyatt was a provisionary Fed Marshall at the time, I believe, and was working to track down the robbers, who kept showing up dead.  From other causes/disputes, but Behan ran with it.  Wyatt had made an agreement with the Clantons and McLauries to help track down the cowboys responsible, for which they'd all take an even cut of the Wells Fargo bounty and Wyatt would get credit for solving the crime that Behan couldn't.  Ike Clanton was a notorious alcoholic and not the sharpest crayon in the bunch, and got it in his head that Wyatt was going around talking about their agreement.  Being ranchers, the Clantons and McLauries would often allow "herds" of cattle (mostly stolen from Mexico by rustlers) to graze on their land for a little cut of the sale of the cattle.  Nobody really looked too hard at where cows came from back then, even the Army.  If word got out that they were helping hunt down other cowboys, it would've ruined them (best case) and put them in the crosshairs of vengeful rustlers/cowboys.  Ike kept drinking, kept freaking out, and convinced some friends of his that Wyatt was doing bad things.  Threats were made, common sense was ignored, and a shootout happened in an empty lot.  During the trial, there was a lot of conflicting information put out about the shootout, as witnesses were more interested in ducking than recording, but the Earps were eventually exonerated which led to the escalating feud between the Earps, Doc, and the cowboys.

Wow  thanks for the great information. I love history and often wonder how much is misconstrude or remembered incorrectly and how much is really  factual and completely true as it happened.. Loved this story. Thanks again.

Dick

heppnerguy

2 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Wow  thanks for the great information. I love history and often wonder how much is misconstrude or remembered incorrectly and how much is really  factual and completely true as it happened.. Loved this story. Thanks again.

Dick

heppnerguy

Doc and the Earps were not quite as innocent and morally upstanding as the movie would have it seem.  And John Ringo was found on the side of the road some time after the whole Tombstone incident, nobody knows who, exactly, killed him.  Josephine Marcos was common-law married to Johnny Behan (and her relationship with Wyatt fueled a lot of the animosity between Behan and the Earps).  There was a fourth Earp brother who was a driver for Wells Fargo (or rode shotgun) who was in and out of Tombstone on occasion, but didn't have much to do with his brothers.  Check out this book, it clears up a lot, and makes BOTH sides look more and more human, rather than "black-hatted villains vs. white-hatted upholders of truth, justice, and law".  So very many places where one or another could've set aside pride and ego, and Tombstone would just be another failed silver mining town rotting forgotten in the deserts.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Gunfight-Shootout-K-Corral/dp/1439154252/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+last+gunfight&qid=1636829160&sr=8-1

:)  Sorry for hijacking your post!  It really *is* an awesome cut!  My Dad was big on Texas history (Curly Bill Brocious spent some time in prison in Lampasas, I believe), grew up on Gunsmoke and Wagon Train, and would've loved this cut.

Edited by RabidAlien
oops

19 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

I do not know how many times I have been there with visitors but I have yet to become  bored by going there. Did you do the silver mine tours while you were there? That is always the first place I head for when I go there.  The cemetery is truly a fun place to visit, for sure. One of the Earp boys is buried in Portland, Oregon, as will as Sacajawia's son that she had on the winter she and her husband signed on as guides for the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1805 but he is buried in Southern Oregon

Dick

heppnerguy

No we never went to the silver mine, maybe if we ever go back to AZ 

I might have shared this before.... but this a picture of my office.

I have Wyatt facing Doc on another wall.

We got these at a craft show.  The artist was out of Wyatt but he promised us he will be back at the Gilroy garlic festival. We made arrangements to meet him on his way out.  After he packed up and was driving home.  

We waited and waited.  He finally texted us that there was a live shooter at the festival.  It took him a week to be able to go back into the festival area just to pack up his stuff.   We met up with him and got the picture.  Also got his story of what happened.  

I just had to share a story of another type of gunslinger.

20181215_103621.jpg

8 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Doc and the Earps were not quite as innocent and morally upstanding as the movie would have it seem.  And John Ringo was found on the side of the road some time after the whole Tombstone incident, nobody knows who, exactly, killed him.  Josephine Marcos was common-law married to Johnny Behan (and her relationship with Wyatt fueled a lot of the animosity between Behan and the Earps).  There was a fourth Earp brother who was a driver for Wells Fargo (or rode shotgun) who was in and out of Tombstone on occasion, but didn't have much to do with his brothers.  Check out this book, it clears up a lot, and makes BOTH sides look more and more human, rather than "black-hatted villains vs. white-hatted upholders of truth, justice, and law".  So very many places where one or another could've set aside pride and ego, and Tombstone would just be another failed silver mining town rotting forgotten in the deserts.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Gunfight-Shootout-K-Corral/dp/1439154252/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+last+gunfight&qid=1636829160&sr=8-1

:)  Sorry for hijacking your post!  It really *is* an awesome cut!  My Dad was big on Texas history (Curly Bill Brocious spent some time in prison in Lampasas, I believe), grew up on Gunsmoke and Wagon Train, and would've loved this cut.

thanks again. I have the book and author written down. I will ask for it for Christmas. Who knows, I may not have to purchase it myself. Boy am I a cheap skate

Dick

heppnerguy