New to me saw

timelett

Congrats on your new saw. They are great saws but do require maintenance. If you are not aware of their problems, this is the right place for advice. I strongly recommend that you go on youtube and search out Bob Brokaw's excellent videos on servicing the saw's many bearings. It's an afternoons job but well worth the time and effort. Many of these saws left the factory with little to no lubrication so they wear very quickly. 

6 hours ago, timelett said:

Thanks for the heads up,on that subject I read that older 788 saws were made in Canada ,the one I am looking at from the photo is newer Should I pass if made in China? I am thinking about adding the Pegas blade holding upgrade. The saw deal is 350.00. With stand and light. 

If the saw seems to run ok the China factor shouldn't be a problem. But I think $350 is a bit high. Depending on your location. Where I live they go for $175-300. I paid $250 with stand & light 7 years ago and it was a type 1.

28 minutes ago, timelett said:

Ok 

I have watched the repair video OCtoolguy recommended, uh,looks like for the money ,I should hold up and save for a better saw?

I have no problem with saving more money up for a machine that is less maintenance, how long will the Dewalt saw run even if it is in pristine condition? 

That's like asking how far is up. There is no answer. My Dewalt didn't look pretty but it ran and sounded ok. I really knew very little at the time. But after having it for a while, it started to have minor things going haywire. The tension rod started knocking but at the time, I didn't know what was making the noise. That's when I found scrollsaw.com and started reading all the "fix-its" for Dewalt saws. That's when I fixed the noise but it led me to the videos on how to disassemble and grease all the bearings. I was prepared to buy all the bearings and sleeves which would have been pretty pricey but after inspection I found no worn parts. I bought a can of synthetic grease and went to work. From that point on my saw hummed. I did all the fine tuning and adjusting that I could find to do. Then Pegas came out with their blade clamps that fit the Dewalt but I bought the set that was for the Pegas/Excalibur saws that had the tension lever incorporated. That allowed me to just set the tension with the Dewalt slider and apply/release the tension with the Pegas lever. That addition was probably the single best thing I did for my Dewalt. From that point on, there was almost zero vibration. I built a good stand for it and threw the tubular crappy stand away. That stand was the forerunner of the stand they have now. But, since I like to sit down it was too tall. Anyway, I guess my point is, if you can find a Dewalt for a price that you feel is in your range, and it runs quiet, I'd not be afraid of it. There are literally hundreds of thousands of those saws out there and I'd bet that very few have been scrapped. Sort of like Timex watches, if you do your part they will just keep on ticking. Availability is going to be the deciding factor I would think. Best of luck on what you decide. We are all here to help you.

To edit: If you want a saw that is almost without maintenance, save your money and buy a Hegner Multimax 18. They will outlive you. Only two places on the saw that require oiling every few hours. And maybe a couple of drops of oil on the tension wedges every year or so. They are simplicity. The Hawks are very much the same way. And there are hundreds of them on the used market. At least around where I live.

To edit once more: Tim, I did some digging and found that you are located in Indiana, love your area. Anyway, to my point, if you want to travel a bit, I know that there are a lot of used saws in Michigan because Kevin is always talking about them. He has a couple of used saws for sale too. You might connect with him and have him keep an eye out for something that would work for you. Just a suggestion. His name here is @kmmcrafts.

Edited by OCtoolguy

1 hour ago, timelett said:

Thanks a lot for the help,I will ask about the condition and use and hopefully the seller will be honest. At least I know a lot more than I did. 

Knowledge is power. As I said, try to get a better price but condition means everything. It's a $500 saw new so go by that.

I don't know how close to Michigan you are but I have a older RBI Hawk 220VS I'd let go at a reasonable price. I'd also consider selling my Excalibur EX-21.. it is the China made one but I rebuilt it last year with the original EX parts from Ray at Seyco.com.. and it has the Pegas blade holders on it. The Hawk I got to have $250 firm on price for. It has about 100 hours run time since I went through it and did many upgrades to it.. The Excalibur I have $300 in new parts last year and has about 160 hours on it since going through that saw.. I'd have to have $350 for it with stand or $300 without. Also has the Seyco dust collection set up on it that won't go with it unless you willing to go $425 for everything. I also have a Hawk 226VS with a lot of extras.. Not really wanting to sell this one BUT.. would let it go for $600 

I'm not in any means needing to sell these saws and have been back and forth on even selling any of them.. Only reason I'd sell the older hawk is.. I have my eye on a Hegner that I'd like to get and try.. Never had a Hegner and just wanted to try one.. and since I have 3 Hawks and a Excalibur I really don't need another saw, LOL If I was to sell both a Hawk and the EX then I'd order a new Pegas.. another saw I'd like to get someday.. 

Heck maybe you're interested in the Hegner I've had my eye on.. Here is a link.. https://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/d/williamston-hegner-multimax-18-scroll/7393302219.html This guy has had this on Craiglist on and off for about 5 months.. started out at around $600 and now he's down to $275.. I'm thinking $200 cash offer since it's been listed now for about a month at $275..  I don't need it so go get it if you want it.. I find deals now and then so it's not the last Hegner on earth.. 

If you're close to Michigan.. there you are.. 4 different " quality "  saws to choose from..  I know nothing about that Hegner.. have not seen it in person or even talked with the guy on it yet.. so it may need work.. I can say my saws all work and pretty much been gone through and worn parts replace greased up and ready to make sawdust.. 

3 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I don't know how close to Michigan you are but I have a older RBI Hawk 220VS I'd let go at a reasonable price. I'd also consider selling my Excalibur EX-21.. it is the China made one but I rebuilt it last year with the original EX parts from Ray at Seyco.com.. and it has the Pegas blade holders on it. The Hawk I got to have $250 firm on price for. It has about 100 hours run time since I went through it and did many upgrades to it.. The Excalibur I have $300 in new parts last year and has about 160 hours on it since going through that saw.. I'd have to have $350 for it with stand or $300 without. Also has the Seyco dust collection set up on it that won't go with it unless you willing to go $425 for everything. I also have a Hawk 226VS with a lot of extras.. Not really wanting to sell this one BUT.. would let it go for $600 

I'm not in any means needing to sell these saws and have been back and forth on even selling any of them.. Only reason I'd sell the older hawk is.. I have my eye on a Hegner that I'd like to get and try.. Never had a Hegner and just wanted to try one.. and since I have 3 Hawks and a Excalibur I really don't need another saw, LOL If I was to sell both a Hawk and the EX then I'd order a new Pegas.. another saw I'd like to get someday.. 

Heck maybe you're interested in the Hegner I've had my eye on.. Here is a link.. https://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/d/williamston-hegner-multimax-18-scroll/7393302219.html This guy has had this on Craiglist on and off for about 5 months.. started out at around $600 and now he's down to $275.. I'm thinking $200 cash offer since it's been listed now for about a month at $275..  I don't need it so go get it if you want it.. I find deals now and then so it's not the last Hegner on earth.. 

If you're close to Michigan.. there you are.. 4 different " quality "  saws to choose from..  I know nothing about that Hegner.. have not seen it in person or even talked with the guy on it yet.. so it may need work.. I can say my saws all work and pretty much been gone through and worn parts replace greased up and ready to make sawdust.. 

Kevin, at $275, that's a steal. It's got all the latest stuff on it. The only thing that's not updated is the table. It's got the older small table but that's not a big deal. I'm asking $450 for the one I've got so that should give you some idea. If you have the money just laying around, I'd snatch it up and then sell one of your other saws. Too good a deal to pass up.

42 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Kevin, at $275, that's a steal. It's got all the latest stuff on it. The only thing that's not updated is the table. It's got the older small table but that's not a big deal. I'm asking $450 for the one I've got so that should give you some idea. If you have the money just laying around, I'd snatch it up and then sell one of your other saws. Too good a deal to pass up.

Well, saws in this area are not really selling all that great and they haven't for quite some time. I have no desire to drag another saw home that I can't get what it's really worth or what they used to sell for out of it. IF I sell one of my saws then that's a different case.. I got space to put more saws but how many do I need setting around here waiting on someone to buy one. I've been seeing deals just like this one set for a long time before they finally sell.. I half wonder what this saw will be priced at next time he list it, LOL I'd not mind having it but one of my saws need to go " before " I strike a deal on this one. I'm sure it needs a good cleaning, greasing, tuned etc. etc. so even at the $275.. You know me.. I'll have to go through it and replace any worn parts.. The saw might end up costing me $350 and if he can't sell it at $275 I probably couldn't either,  even going through it and cleaning it up. LOL

22 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well, saws in this area are not really selling all that great and they haven't for quite some time. I have no desire to drag another saw home that I can't get what it's really worth or what they used to sell for out of it. IF I sell one of my saws then that's a different case.. I got space to put more saws but how many do I need setting around here waiting on someone to buy one. I've been seeing deals just like this one set for a long time before they finally sell.. I half wonder what this saw will be priced at next time he list it, LOL I'd not mind having it but one of my saws need to go " before " I strike a deal on this one. I'm sure it needs a good cleaning, greasing, tuned etc. etc. so even at the $275.. You know me.. I'll have to go through it and replace any worn parts.. The saw might end up costing me $350 and if he can't sell it at $275 I probably couldn't either,  even going through it and cleaning it up. LOL

But but but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

27 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

But but but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IF I thought I could flip it if I didn't like the saw.. I'd buy in a heartbeat.. I paid $100 for my 220vs I have about another $200 in upgrades and refurbishing it.. etc.. Nobody local wants it for $300.. I see people buying them and bragging about the great deal they got on a old beat up single speed hawk that they paid $400 for, LOL.. I don't really want to fool with shipping but I'd meet up or help with delivery within a few hour drive.. I know I could put it on ebay and have it shipped via Fastenal or greyhound pretty reasonable.. I just don't care if it sells that bad to deal with shipping... It's a great back-up saw and the upper arm goes up way higher than the other saws do so it is my go to saw for larger projects as it's easy to bottom feed the blade the way that arm goes way up.. This Hegner to me "looks" rough compared to my Hawk.. if I can't pull $250 - 300 for the Hawk that runs and looks almost new.. I don't think It'd be a quick sell to flip the Hegner if I didn't like it. This is a picture of my Hawk 220vs, That Hegner looks like it was drag behind a car for a couple blocks, compared to my Hawk..  

231370149_4819689308082210_8887360408935416252_n.thumb.jpg.e0adb3516f5a8606c747e87e7748f424.jpg

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

IF I thought I could flip it if I didn't like the saw.. I'd buy in a heartbeat.. I paid $100 for my 220vs I have about another $200 in upgrades and refurbishing it.. etc.. Nobody local wants it for $300.. I see people buying them and bragging about the great deal they got on a old beat up single speed hawk that they paid $400 for, LOL.. I don't really want to fool with shipping but I'd meet up or help with delivery within a few hour drive.. I know I could put it on ebay and have it shipped via Fastenal or greyhound pretty reasonable.. I just don't care if it sells that bad to deal with shipping... It's a great back-up saw and the upper arm goes up way higher than the other saws do so it is my go to saw for larger projects as it's easy to bottom feed the blade the way that arm goes way up.. This Hegner to me "looks" rough compared to my Hawk.. if I can't pull $250 - 300 for the Hawk that runs and looks almost new.. I don't think It'd be a quick sell to flip the Hegner if I didn't like it. This is a picture of my Hawk 220vs, That Hegner looks like it was drag behind a car for a couple blocks, compared to my Hawk..  

231370149_4819689308082210_8887360408935416252_n.thumb.jpg.e0adb3516f5a8606c747e87e7748f424.jpg

For some reason they all have that look. The stands all look like they've been drug behind a truck. I've had 3 of them and the stands all look bad. Left over from WW 2 tanks or something. But they are just bulletproof. My suggestion to you is stick with your Hawk. There's really nothing to be gained. They are so similar in how they operate. 

1 hour ago, timelett said:

Kevin didn't see PM probably something that I am not doing? I left a message for you if you can call me.

I'll give a call tomorrow, what is a good time to catch you on the phone? I hope to not be in the shop too much tomorrow as I have 2 truck loads of walnut given to me that I hope to haul home tomorrow. 

Hey Tim, was good to meet you today and chat a while about woodworking etc. I hope the Hawk serves you as well as it had for me. 

Here is the manual online for the saw I said I'd post it later so you could look through it.. http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/files/SawManuals/model_220VS_serial_14052-20800.pdf   Page 10 or 11 shows the starting point for blade tension that I was trying to explain to you. Any questions about it let me know. Hope to see some photos of projects soon. Oh, That little bit of walnut I said my brother with the sawmill told me to come get or he was burning it.. That turned into a full pickup truck load.. was dark before I got home so no photos until tomorrow I'll post my score of free walnut tomorrow, LOL.. I'm going to look through some of the spalted maple and other wood I have around here that I won't use most likely.. I'll let you know.. but I probably won't get to it until after the holidays. I'm sure I could send you home with a full truck load.  

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Hey Tim, was good to meet you today and chat a while about woodworking etc. I hope the Hawk serves you as well as it had for me. 

Here is the manual online for the saw I said I'd post it later so you could look through it.. http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/files/SawManuals/model_220VS_serial_14052-20800.pdf   Page 10 or 11 shows the starting point for blade tension that I was trying to explain to you. Any questions about it let me know. Hope to see some photos of projects soon. Oh, That little bit of walnut I said my brother with the sawmill told me to come get or he was burning it.. That turned into a full pickup truck load.. was dark before I got home so no photos until tomorrow I'll post my score of free walnut tomorrow, LOL.. I'm going to look through some of the spalted maple and other wood I have around here that I won't use most likely.. I'll let you know.. but I probably won't get to it until after the holidays. I'm sure I could send you home with a full truck load.  

It sounds like you made Tim's day. He will enjoy that saw for a long time to come. If I could have kept mine, I sure would have but it just took up too much space.