Successful Scroll Sawing with the Boys

DRugerH

Outstanding.. Hope you took some pictures,, I would love to see some.. I can't help but believe with a little pr and campaining,,, you would get Wen of some similar  company to donate s few saws... after all you are creating future customers for them and it would give them great publicity...  What a great feeling this must have given you.. Good for you...

I am not a "leader" but I sure would have loved to have been one of your helpers that night. I always wished I would have had a grandchild to teach what I know but it was not to be. Keep up the great job you are doing. We need to nurture the future craftspeople or nothing will ever get fixed. 

Great news indeed.  Showing youngsters how to use their own hands to create a wooden project is to be congratulated and admired.  Thank you for your involvement in possibly helping create some of tomorrows craftsmen.  Also thank you for sharing a heart warming story. 

Edited by stoney

Great thing to do - thank you!  When I was subbing at the elementary school I worked with a number of "difficult" kids.  I had a room where I brought several guitars and amps.  When kids were good I would allow them to play the guitars and show them some basic chords.  The look of achievement on their faces was well worth the effort.  There were several little guys that really took to it.  At the end of the year, after contacting their parents, I let them pick out a guitar and amp to keep - they were so happy!  The next fall I ran into one of them and asked if he was still playing it.  He told me that he was now writing his own music!!  You can never tell when something you do with kids will change their (and your) life!  Thanks again for taking time with the kids!

35 minutes ago, MrsN said:

Wonderful!!! 

I am a woodworking teacher, so have my own stories/memories of these times, but they are so great! I hope you enjoy the time you spend with them!

One of my most remembered teachers was my wood working teacher... Everytime I get to enjoy the hobby, I think of him.  I am sure there are many students that have the same thoughts about you.... I think doing away with "Shop" classes is a great disservice to the young kids of today...

45 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

One of my most remembered teachers was my wood working teacher... Everytime I get to enjoy the hobby, I think of him.  I am sure there are many students that have the same thoughts about you.... I think doing away with "Shop" classes is a great disservice to the young kids of today...

I agree Paul. My woodshop teacher was a great man by the name of Jack Cohen. He's about the only teacher that I can remember. I can still see him standing up on top of one of the woodbenches and demonstrating how to use a router. 
When they discontinued shop classes they stopped many people from entering into the trades and now we have a shortage of people who know how to fix stuff. I'd love to see Trade Schools make a come back. Of course, they'll have to hire people like us to teach them how to teach the kids.

Thanks all.  I'm certainly not looking for praise, but just wanted to share this experience that I had with the boys, and I just thought you would all appreciate it.  I had told my mom about this (she lives with me now that she was not able to take care of her home any longer) and earlier this evening, she decided that she wanted to try her hand at scroll sawing.  I did the same for her that I did for the boys, except she got to use my Hawk G2.  I gave her the same practice board and then she made a star.  She was quite proud of herself as well.  Something tells me she wants her own now.  I'll be looking for a Delta 40-540 as it's built similar to the Hawk, but smaller and more cast iron for less vibration.  One of my saws is a Delta 40-550, I think, the 2-speed version, and that was the best out of all the 16" saws I used for the boys.  That one will stay with them, so my hunt begins.

Again, thanks all. 

Dan

Well, you deserve the praise. You are doing a good thing and your Mother proves that you are never too old to learn something new. Scrolling is a hobby for all ages and the quality of the new saws just makes learning that much easier.

After doing a quick search to see what the Delta saw looks like, it seems there are a ton of them on the used market and at very reasonable prices. You should have no problem finding a good saw for Mom.

Edited by OCtoolguy