Light box

kardar2

Well last weekend I made a light box out of a cardboard box. Man what A difference it made on my pictures of my woodworking. It was kinda a pain setting up the lights cause I had to hang a heat lamp from a ceiling Fan. So now I have to work on a lighting system. My qestion is does it make a big difference when using different. Types of bulbs? I had one flood light from top one desk lamp with a LED bulb. And a reg 100 w bulb. Any suggestions on the lighting would be great. I did notice the closer I brought the. Heat lamp down caused more shadows. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm not a photographer, but I think where you'll want to watch is the color temperature of the light. Most regular bulbs throw off a yellow light, whereas daylight is a bit more blue, florescent can be green, etc. So I'd try to use all the same kind of bulb. Then look to see if your camera has a white balance. If it does, hold up a piece of white paper and white balance off that. that will correct the color when taking a pic.

I use those cheap clip on shop lights (they cost about $9 each). Then get some daylight bulbs. I do a basic 3 point lighting setup. One light shines on the subject and spills to the background (more on background than not, or you can backlight the object). One light on the product, then a fill light from further away to soften the shadows.

http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... light-tent

I found this article and was looking to make one too, it talks about using 'daylight' bulbs.

".. I went to my local hardware store and picked up some “Daylight†Bulbs. Using regular light bulbs will cast a yellow light and should be avoided. I purchased “n:vision†90 watt equivalent compact florescent bulbs ($7.00 US). Basically any “Full Spectrum†light bulbs will do .."

It really doesn't make much difference what type of light you use as long as you use all the same type. All incandescent, or fluorescent or LEDs. As long as you have your camera set on auto white balance it will correct to a daylight color. Depending on how dramatic you want the lighting, you can change the wattage - go up for more dramatic and down for softer. Its best to have the item cross light from two sides to avoid shadows. However using a lightbox will usually avoid shadows and generally produces a soft well lit subject with only one or two lights.

Bill