Commission Work – Opinions needed-UPDATED

FrankEV

1 hour ago, FrankEV said:

I was commissioned to make this pair of Chinese Dragons panels.  The client chose this Dragon from a group of different Dragons I provided.  The patterns were found on-line and had to be only slightly modified to make it scrollable.  The original had the “ribs” (for lack of a better word) bridging to the opposite side making a multitude of dropouts.

The cut panels are 1/8” x 20” x 30” BB ply mounted on a painted black 1/4" x 20” x 30” BB Ply Backer. 

The cut panels were stack cut to make mirror images with good side up.  Shelf liner was applied to both sides to minimize possible tear out.  All cutting was completed with Pegas #1 spiral blades.  A number of blades broke, mostly because it was difficult to thread the blade from below without kinking the blade.   Keeping the panel flat while cutting was difficult, especially so after some of the larger areas were cut out.  Used a lot of blue tape to hold cutouts in place to help keep the panel somewhat rigid while cutting.  Yes, the little piece in the Dragon’s nose had to be glued back in after the panel was affixed to the backer.

The 20” x 30” BB ply panels were special ordered from Ocooch Hardwoods.  I did not find the prices to be too unreasonable for this special order.  They responded to my request quickly and the order was received within just a few days.  Great service.

Now here is where I need some help and opinions. 

I need to make frames for these panels and cannot decide what width rail/stile I should use.  I typically use 1 3/4" wide, but not sure if that will look the best for these panels.  Often large frames are narrow (3/4”) or, like large paintings, use a much wider  (2 1/2” +)  that may be more appropriate.

Please provide you opinion on what size I might use and tell me why.   

You might want to let me know what color the frame should be also.

1264885585_ChineseDragonsapair.thumb.JPG.de4a8527795bbe10f95d600ad6b3234a.JPG

Thanks for you help.

If I were making it I would be probably make a frame either 2" or 2 1/2" wide. I used black Minwax stain on the backer and frame.

Wolf  Moon.jpg

32 minutes ago, Will M said:

That is really beautiful,but how did you ever cut a 20in x30in  patern on your saw?

Will M

Very Carefully.  I used a spiral blade so no spining of work.  Did have to reposition ocassionally from one side of the saw to the other just to make the overhang off the table was not so bad.  The Pegas saw has a 21" throat and the cutting was actually only 18" wide, so you can manipulate the piece working the cut basically from one side only.

Very nice as always, Frank. I'd have to use a pint of glue putting pieces back together if I did something like that. As far as the frame, you have already commented that you've made arrangements with the client. My opinion is that it would look good with the framing like on the wolf Dave posted. Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, Wichman said:

Frank,

How did you handle the weight of the piece when it was overhanging the table?  How did you orient the piece to avoid that?

Fortunately the stacked panel was not heavy.  I attempted to keep as much panel on the table as possible.  I would orient the panel on an angle to the right or left of the back of saw as much as possible so as much of the panel was on the table as possible.  Otherwise, I just supported the panel with my hands.  Like I said,  it became more difficut as some of the large parts was cut out.  By using blue tape to hold the cutouts in place, I was able to make the panel "more" rigid so the overhang did not drop too badly.

This project was a very easy cut (other than the thin areas between cutouts) so the cutting went quite fast.   If this was a more intricate pattern I don't think it would be feasable with out creating extensions for the table to support the panels.  

20 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

Black lacquer after a 600 grit sanding and priming. 

I think I'm going to try the Black Lacquer on the frames for these panels.  

I allways sand to 600 or even to 1500 and apply a wood pre-stain conditioner before staining and also used a Lacquer wood conditioner before applying clear lacquer.

I have also painted with All-in-one Paint/Primer. 

However, I have never primed before applying lacquer.  Wondering what kind of primer do you suggest?  

7 hours ago, FrankEV said:

I think I'm going to try the Black Lacquer on the frames for these panels.  

I allways sand to 600 or even to 1500 and apply a wood pre-stain conditioner before staining and also used a Lacquer wood conditioner before applying clear lacquer.

I have also painted with All-in-one Paint/Primer. 

However, I have never primed before applying lacquer.  Wondering what kind of primer do you suggest?  

One of the best scrollsawer/painters I follow uses Rustoleum primers and get mirror finishes with shaker can paints. 

On Instagram, he is davetaylors3dwoodart and there are mini topics on his home page.

Edited by Jim McDonald

• FrankEV changed the title to Commission Work – Opinions needed-UPDATED
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 1:51 PM, Scrappile said:

Might do a search on Asian picture frames... to get some ideas,  I always struggle with the same question and usually my "cheapness" wins and I go with narrower, get more out of a piece of wood..

Hello I'm from quebec and i serch this pattern of the dragon that you were made. Can you give me the internet link to buy it. ?? I managed to reach this page with the photo I found on the net. my email adress is philibert.sabrina@gmail.com

4 hours ago, Sabrina said:

Hello I'm from quebec and i serch this pattern of the dragon that you were made. Can you give me the internet link to buy it. ?? I managed to reach this page with the photo I found on the net. my email adress is philibert.sabrina@gmail.com

Watch for a Private Message from me.

Edited by FrankEV