Sandpaper Workpiece "grip" zones

Blaughn

I normally prepare my stock for cutting with Walmart "Duck" self adhesive shelf paper, then comes the pattern printed on full-page adhesive labels.  Finally apply 2" package tape over the pattern.  This does a good job of minimizing the tendency for the pattern to delaminate and lift in those small sections.  Unfortunately the clear package tape gets slippery with the fine sawdust that is missed by the dust collection system.  I soon find myself pressing down way too hard to move and hold the workpiece.  This brings on so-called "scroller's palsy"

I have found a trick that helps.  I apply double-stick tape (aka carpet tape, seam tape or golf grip-tape) to the back of used sand paper and cut these into 3/4" x 1" squares.  I then remove the protective paper to reveal the sticky surface.  I stick these in strategic spots on the surface of the work piece (see picture).  I have found this allows me to work comfortably with very light finger pressure to the board.  It has cut down fatigue, increased accuracy moving the work piece and no "scroller palsied" fingers.

NOTE:  If this is simply restating someone else's earlier post I will claim "Senior Moment clepto status".  With my 74th birthday now in the rearview mirror I am entitled!!!!!  🥴

sand paper grips.jpg

Edited by Blaughn

• Blaughn changed the title to Sandpaper Workpiece "grip" zones