New (to me) printer

Wichman

I've been drooling over a used HP 500 printer at the local ReStore, they had it priced at $300. I went in today and they had dropped the price to $175....SOLD.

This is a large format printer that uses rolls of paper that are 24" wide and 50' long. I intend to use this for the large scale live edge planks.

It came with a large box of accessories and three extra rolls of paper!

50ft patterns is a little excessive don't you think.. must have one massive scroll saw.. 🙃

Congrats on scoring that.. sound like a very useful printer.. I had a large format but only 11 x 17 inch.. I bought specific to save me from having to piece together those large patterns.. But, I only printed a handful of the larger patterns and when it was worn out I went with a standard cheap laser printer that only does black.. Sure wish I had thought that through a little better since I like red lines on my patterns.. But I do like this laser printer better than the inkjet ones I've always used in the past..

On 1/13/2022 at 3:54 PM, timelett said:

Is it full of ink I hope?

Printer fired up just fine, the only "error" message was that two of the ink cartridges need to be replaced. No problem, I can get them from amazon $25 for a set of five (2 black 1 ea of the colors.) Now to get it to interface with the computers.

Windows 10 recognizes the printer, but does not show a driver. I haven't tried the linux computer yet. (I irritated my back carrying parts and pieces into the house).

Good luck with this one. HP are fairly easy to setup with Windows but are just as easy on LInux. I have spent 3 days getting a new Brother A3 (11" x 17") printer set up on my Linux machine but it's finally installed and is great. I just plugged it into my Win 10 machine and it worked, (a desktop machine with no cd/dvd drives).

26 minutes ago, don watson said:

Good luck with this one. HP are fairly easy to setup with Windows but are just as easy on LInux. I have spent 3 days getting a new Brother A3 (11" x 17") printer set up on my Linux machine but it's finally installed and is great. I just plugged it into my Win 10 machine and it worked, (a desktop machine with no cd/dvd drives).

I'm having issues with Windows 10, the printer is too old for it (2004). I just got it setup on the Linux machine, a few more bugs, then home free (I hope). :)

I can't imagine what use you will have for a printer that big to print patterns for scroll sawing, but printing big can be a lot of fun, and rewarding, if you are willing to create big signs and posters. I almost got into this BIG printer idea myself and still have thoughts in that direction.

I have two wide format HP printers, one is an HP5000 and the other HP5500. The HP5500 can print both sides of a sheet and both printers are roll fed. Both use 48" by 150' rolls of paper, but both have been in storage for several years, so they will likely need ink feed restoration and new ink. My intent was to put one in my photo studio to print full size stand-ups of people, etc. like the baseball player and race car driver stand-ups so often seen in stores for advertising. Remaining available space in my photo/video studio, after everything else has been moved in has pretty much put an end to this idea, but maybe I can squeeze one of them in there. Each printer is about 8' wide, 3' deep and on stands, so about 4' high. Really BIG Printers.

Anybody want the other one? I can be very reasonable on price. 

Charley

I have relief carved patterns that size, but never cut them on my scroll saw. I don't care for cutting with spiral blades, except when clearing out areas difficult to cut with a blade. I have made a few things where I combined both carving and scroll sawing, but these were small and less than 50 hours to complete. The cross below was cut from one piece of mahogany using my scroll saw and then the face of the leaves and vines carved and shaped with an air powered carver/repurposed dentist drill and 1/6" diameter bits. The finish is poly and Rub-N-Buff antique gold on the leaves. About 12 hours total to make.

Family demand has required the building of many copies of this. Sixteen have been made since this first one.

Charley

P1010004.JPG