Taking to the open road?

new2woodwrk

I saw @Hawk 's post about rving, and well we are starting to gather information regarding this possibility.

Our scenario is a bit different, but I would like to get some input and ideas from others.

We have 2 trucks - 1 a pickup we just purchased hauls our inventory trailer, the other is going to haul our sleeping trailer (expanding trailer). our truck with the inventory trailer will also be loaded with most of our equipment, generator, gas etc but scaled down slightly - 1 drill press instead of 3 LOL etc.

What we are considering is the ability to go on the road, visit various craft shows along the way and sell if we can. Park for a few days, replenish our stock and hit the road for the next event/venue.

We're thinking of this as our ultimate retirement plan and the last leg of our journey together.and getting back to a simple life

Feel free to offer your ideas if you'd like

Wife and I talk about something similar.. just the two of us so we don't need a huge 40ft travel trailer.. Was actually thinking about going with a toy hauler and have the minimal tools in the toy / shop section of the trailer.. this way we can ride together instead of both having to drive.. no need for two trucks trailers etc. etc. I suppose if you're not going all that far away maybe not a big deal for two trucks etc.. I'm just not sure why one would want to hit the open road driving alone somewhat.. Like I said though may work that way for a small 3-5 hour trip.. but if you're traveling the states and going distances.. doesn't sound fun at all to me.. 

Another option is to haul a 5th wheel TT.. as with a 5th wheel you can also haul a smaller enclosed trailer attached to the 5th wheel.. that way still one truck.. 

Then again.. if you have that spouse that never stops talking and drives you nuts.. then the idea of two trucks is genius.. 😂 

36 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

I saw @Hawk 's post about rving, and well we are starting to gather information regarding this possibility.

Our scenario is a bit different, but I would like to get some input and ideas from others.

We have 2 trucks - 1 a pickup we just purchased hauls our inventory trailer, the other is going to haul our sleeping trailer (expanding trailer). our truck with the inventory trailer will also be loaded with most of our equipment, generator, gas etc but scaled down slightly - 1 drill press instead of 3 LOL etc.

What we are considering is the ability to go on the road, visit various craft shows along the way and sell if we can. Park for a few days, replenish our stock and hit the road for the next event/venue.

We're thinking of this as our ultimate retirement plan and the last leg of our journey together.and getting back to a simple life

Feel free to offer your ideas if you'd like

Although a different situation tha yours, my wife and I spent the best 3 years of our lives out on the road. We had a 1 ton crew cab dually Chevy Duramax/Allison pulling a 36 foot Hitchhiker 5th wheel trailer. We sold everything except a few family things which were in a 6 x 8 ft storage unit. We thought at first about work camping but soon gave that idea up as we did not want to be on anybody's schedule but our own. It was wonderful. Have fun.

7 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Wife and I talk about something similar.. just the two of us so we don't need a huge 40ft travel trailer.. Was actually thinking about going with a toy hauler and have the minimal tools in the toy / shop section of the trailer.. this way we can ride together instead of both having to drive.. no need for two trucks trailers etc. etc. I suppose if you're not going all that far away maybe not a big deal for two trucks etc.. I'm just not sure why one would want to hit the open road driving alone somewhat.. Like I said though may work that way for a small 3-5 hour trip.. but if you're traveling the states and going distances.. doesn't sound fun at all to me.. 

Another option is to haul a 5th wheel TT.. as with a 5th wheel you can also haul a smaller enclosed trailer attached to the 5th wheel.. that way still one truck.. 

Then again.. if you have that spouse that never stops talking and drives you nuts.. then the idea of two trucks is genius.. 😂 

Yeah, I've thought about outfitting a toy trailer as well and am still rolling this idea around - it's a good one! But it will have to get part of it "fitted" as a living trailer also... Bed, kitchenette, shower/bath, fridge, heating and cooling. All that cost a bundle and we'd have to sell off our current trailer, and both trucks to get a truck big enough to tow that monster!

Our current thought is go with what we have since it's all paid for and buy an expanding trailer - and as for "never stop talking", yeah after 30 years and her being the worst navigator/co-pilot you've ever relied on, it's going to be much easier with me leading the pack LOL. Um, she has a very difficult time reading a map and always reads it upside down (right is left, left is right forward is back etc. Sheesh!

7 hours ago, preprius said:

You might be able to be hired for classroom for teaching / demo  scrollsaw techniques.  

Bring the feild trip to the outdoor class. 

That's an idea for sure! Thanks!

Edited by new2woodwrk

Not really knowing what tools you'd need but when I said toy hauler I was talking about a trailer that has a small portion in the back for hauling toys.. they make them this way already.. Your reply made it sound as though you buy a regular trailer and convert it. Most I've seen of them are at the sand dunes etc. and the folks using them put their dune buggies, dirt bikes, golf carts etc. in the "toy area" of the camper.. Maybe this wouldn't be enough room for the living area? I haven't really "looked" at them.. I can say when we camp we stay outside most the whole time other than if it's storming. I have a feeling if I was to do this I might not saw enough to make it worth while because I enjoy the walks and bike rides, hiking etc.. I could see using it if the weather is bad.. For me.. just having a hand drill and a few scrolling boards.. patterns etc.. and a saw mounted on a board for easy storage is probably good enough when / if I was to hit the open road.

Don't forget that some campgrounds may frown upon if you run certain equipment that might be noisy.. table saw and chop / miter saw comes to mind.. people go camping to relax.. and forget about work..

3596-_0016_Jayco2017__Octane260_34RearRZR.jpg

toy-hauler-floorplan.png

Edited by kmmcrafts

@kmmcrafts yeah, I've looked at this type of trailer in the past, There is just enough room in a mid size to roll in a ATV and of course you can put the back down as a platform, However, I have not seen one that can be pulled without a 5th wheel which again requires sale of all our existing vehicles. Not to mention, once you load up with the minimal tools, there will be very little area for inventory.

As to camp grounds, there are actually other places to park/rv without going to an actual RV camp, Many are free open sites, where you can pull in, setup a generator and shop and produce.

I have a few links for these types of sites if you're interested. often they are off the beaten track which allows for hiking and outdoorsy things

4 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

@kmmcrafts yeah, I've looked at this type of trailer in the past, There is just enough room in a mid size to roll in a ATV and of course you can put the back down as a platform, However, I have not seen one that can be pulled without a 5th wheel which again requires sale of all our existing vehicles. Not to mention, once you load up with the minimal tools, there will be very little area for inventory.

As to camp grounds, there are actually other places to park/rv without going to an actual RV camp, Many are free open sites, where you can pull in, setup a generator and shop and produce.

I have a few links for these types of sites if you're interested. often they are off the beaten track which allows for hiking and outdoorsy things

LOL, The one shown in the pictures is not a 5th wheel, 

But I do understand what you're saying about working with what you have. I'd certainly want to do that and try what you're trying to do before selling off everything and then have it not work well for you.

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

LOL, The one shown in the pictures is not a 5th wheel, 

But I do understand what you're saying about working with what you have. I'd certainly want to do that and try what you're trying to do before selling off everything and then have it not work well for you.

That picture looks like it has a 5th wheel attachment no? maybe I'm not seeing the attachment correctly? isn't the bottom pic (layout) a ball and hitch, the top a 5th wheel?

2 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

That picture looks like it has a 5th wheel attachment no? maybe I'm not seeing the attachment correctly? isn't the bottom pic (layout) a ball and hitch, the top a 5th wheel?

A 5th wheel would have a notched out section at the front where the trailer would go over the truck box and hook to the hitch ( Usually where the main bedroom is located ).. They have them in regular trailers as I've seen them both at camper shows and also at parks.. so they make them.. Probably the 5th wheel version is more common..  

My brother lived in on rv. 

He would park in the walmart parking lot and at night would sit in the dark crying himself to sleep.  he was cold, miserable and always hassled by bums and and the cops. 

I thought it sounded like fun until I thought of that and he explained the reality of the plumbing and electric and what not.  of course had he had some money he would have had those things but if he had had money, he never would have done it in the first place. 

Just a different take on it. 

15 hours ago, timelett said:

Would saw dust in the trailer be a issue? Are you thinking about dust collection noise?

It would be and yes I am. Good thought!

The "toy trailer" and my current trailer option, allows the rear ramp to fold down and create a working platform outside the trailer which would work during warmer climates/temps. Clean up would be a broom and  blower (I have small pancake compressor)

For colder climates/temps my thought are... They have these Trailer tents that go in the back of SUV's or Pickup trucks. I would enclose the ramp in one of those with a small propane heater which I currently use in the shop as well.

21 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

A 5th wheel would have a notched out section at the front where the trailer would go over the truck box and hook to the hitch ( Usually where the main bedroom is located ).. They have them in regular trailers as I've seen them both at camper shows and also at parks.. so they make them.. Probably the 5th wheel version is more common..  

I've looked at both, interesting when doing so I found toy trailers that expand! I really like those, and there are quite a few available used in my price range!

Still not liking the idea of having to sell my current items though, and still have an issue with on hand inventory. But I'm working through that as well

The thing of it is, this project may be "feasible" but how practical it is may be a completely different story!

17 hours ago, crupiea said:

My brother lived in on rv. 

He would park in the walmart parking lot and at night would sit in the dark crying himself to sleep.  he was cold, miserable and always hassled by bums and and the cops. 

I thought it sounded like fun until I thought of that and he explained the reality of the plumbing and electric and what not.  of course had he had some money he would have had those things but if he had had money, he never would have done it in the first place. 

Just a different take on it. 

Too funny!

We won't/wouldn't be  parking in walmart parking lots unless absolutely necessary. There are other places to park without being harassed. In fact, some of the venues I've spoken to would allow us to park overnight in their lots!

The RV community is an interesting group of people and seem very welcoming to new comers and ideas.

Plumbing and electrical are all part of the RV - plumbing you need to deal with black and brown water at a dump station - no biggie since many parks have them

The thing with electrical is everything runs on batteries - we are working on setting our current trailer up with solar panels and a few batteries for the summer and winter months here.

In fact, many of the vendors in our small community have offered to pay a price to sit in our trailer once we have the A/C LOL and just yesterday it was really freakin' cold and a few asked if our trailer was heated! $5 for 15 minutes should help with the overhead LOL

Edited by new2woodwrk