Keeping patterns together

timelett

I thought I would try a pattern by Huntter from the library, the crappie pattern,I have been  working on it and noticed the top fin looks like there is not mutch holding it together after cutting out the black. 

Is their a secret to keeping it all together? My saw is a Halk and blade feeds from bottom up.

47 minutes ago, timelett said:

I thought I would try a pattern by Huntter from the library, the crappie pattern,I have been  working on it and noticed the top fin looks like there is not mutch holding it together after cutting out the black. 

Is their a secret to keeping it all together? My saw is a Halk and blade feeds from bottom up.

I keep a small roll of blue painter's tape (3/4" width) near my saw.  Once I cut out a piece bordering a thin section, I'll keep that waste piece in place, and put a strip of blue tape over the top of it to hold it in place, trying to keep it from covering nearby lines that still need to be cut.  Once everything is done, I'll just peel up the tape/pattern as usual and these pieces pop out with it.

Cutting a stack of thin stock rather than just one piece also helps with some strength.. A lot of folks keep the waste area and tape it back in too as mentioned above. I've never done that one before.. Not sure what size blade or how thick of material you're working with but.. sometimes going to a smaller blade than you normally use will cut slower maybe but also will be less aggressive in the wood..