New screen name

TAIrving

I have changed my screen name; formerly Algae, now TAIrving.  I joined this forum 1-1/2 years ago after buying my first scroll saw, a used Porter-Cable, from a neighbor.  I had low expectations but wanted to learn something about the scroll-sawing hobby.  Wow did I learn!  First of all, it is not a hobby, it is an obsession!  And so much more!  And the learning never stops.

Now I have a Pegas scroll saw and a shop full of completed and half-completed projects and my wife has learned to tolerate it all, the endless gifting of projects, me returning from the shop covered in sawdust, etc.  

Thanks for your camaraderie!  See you on the forums.  

A name is just a name.

My full name is Thurman Algernon Irving, Jr.  That should go someways towards an explanation. 

Setting my middle name aside, I have sometimes been asked if my name is Thurman Irving or Irving Thurman.  It is all confusing. 

Regarding my middle name, the family story is that, at the time my father was born, my grandmother was reading a book whose main protagonist was named Algernon.  

You can breathe now.  

10 hours ago, TAIrving said:

A name is just a name.

My full name is Thurman Algernon Irving, Jr.  That should go someways towards an explanation. 

Setting my middle name aside, I have sometimes been asked if my name is Thurman Irving or Irving Thurman.  It is all confusing. 

Regarding my middle name, the family story is that, at the time my father was born, my grandmother was reading a book whose main protagonist was named Algernon.  

You can breathe now.  

Thurman Algernon Irving, Jr. is a very impressive name.  I picture someone with a name like that being a bank president. 😀

I too, was very surprised when I took to scrolling the way that I did.  It's a wonderful, and useful, hobby.

3 hours ago, Norm Fengstad said:

I worked with a Thurman years ago, nice fellow was an iron worker and I went to school with an Irving and now I am blessed to know an Algernon and he is an obsessed scroller. WOW

Norm, I was thinking the same thing. I had a good customer/friend named Thurman and knew an Irving. But until now, no Algernons. Mission complete.

Well, this brings back memories.

Many years ago I came across the novel:  "Flowers for Algernon" written by Daniel Keyes. 

Here is an interpretation I found describing the novel:   

Charly is an adult male with a cognitive disability, struggling to survive in the modern world. His frequent attempts at learning, reading and writing prove difficult, and he is the subject of cruel pranks at the bakery where he does minor janitorial work. His teacher, Mrs. Kinnian, enrolls Charly in a clinical study where he is observed by a surgeon and a psychologist who have Charly "race" a mouse named Algernon, solving mazes. Algernon is usually the winner, thanks to an experiment involving brain proteins that greatly raised his intelligence. The experiment proceeds with surgery on Charly, who at first does not seem affected. However, he quickly becomes more logically advanced, soon becoming a pure genius. Emotional and intra-personal consequences are involved as Charly and his teacher become increasingly attached to one another. But when Charly gradually suspects the consequences of the experiment, he struggles with whether or not the procedure was a good idea.

If you are in the mood for a novel that will touch your heartstrings and soul, give it a read.
But wait, it doesn't stop there . . . The movie industry discovered it and "Charly" - Movie from 1968, staring Cliff Robertson and a remake in 2000 - was made.  I haven't seen the 2000 remake, but can give accolades to Cliff Robertson for his acting the part of Charley.

Probably too much information, but hey, thanks for the memories.  Think I'll give the novel another read.