Miniature deer

scrollerpete

17 minutes ago, meflick said:

I like clarification and understanding, I’m not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking why is it the smallest he can cut, why can’t he cut smaller? OR are you asking why cut that small? 

I would just let it be, I did it just to prove to myself that I could cut it this small, did not use any clamps just my fingers and a piece of scarp mahogany and Pegas MGT 1R

15 minutes ago, meflick said:

I like clarification and understanding, I’m not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking why is it the smallest he can cut, why can’t he cut smaller? OR are you asking why cut that small? 

I was being a wise A...

But in truth I don't understand way anyone would cut something that small with no apparent usefulness.  However, from orther comments it seems it is just the challenge of doing it.  So, I guess that is OK if that is what trips your trigger, but not my thing, 

19 hours ago, FrankEV said:

I was being a wise A...

But in truth I don't understand way anyone would cut something that small with no apparent usefulness.  However, from orther comments it seems it is just the challenge of doing it.  So, I guess that is OK if that is what trips your trigger, but not my thing, 

Thank you Frank for giving an honest reply. I really was not sure which “why” you were asking.

We all have different things that appeal to us. While you may consider something like this as having no apparent usefulness, others may find they simply like the challenge of seeing how small they can cut and it brings them joy and happiness to see.  This is shown by several responses here. Others like to make these small reindeer to give away and when they do, they find it gives joy to the recipient as well as to themselves as the giver. Some folks make jewelry with such tiny items and people love them. Some people collect miniatures and find joy in seeing them. Some use them for ornaments. Beauty and its usefulness is in the eye of the beholder  for sure, but that  doesn’t mean we are right or wrong, it just means it does or doesn’t appeal to us personally and that’s ok. 

Given our world today, I pray that we can all remember that just because we personally don’t understand something, or it does not appeal to us, it does not make it useless or unimportant. What a dull world it would be if everyone was the same or only liked the same things.

There are so many types of different scroll work that can and is done and shared here. All of it will not appeal to everyone. However,  that does not mean we cannot appreciate the skill it requires to create it. I know I am always in awe of work and patterns that I see shared here, even though many I would never care to do myself. I do however always admire and appreciate the time and talent that it takes to be done by others.

Edited by meflick
Typo (but I probably missed some. 😉)

1 hour ago, scrollerpete said:

. . . I did it just to prove to myself that I could cut it this small, did not use any clamps just my fingers and a piece of scarp mahogany and Pegas MGT 1R

Pete, thank you for showing. I am in awe of those who can cut such small and intricate items. The fact that you did it without any clamps and just holding the scrap wood, is to me just that more awesome. I know cutting such tiny intricate pieces is not easy.