Compound cuts

Boradryn

I've been lately working with a new (too me) type of scrolling. Compound cuts: the kind where if it's viewed from one angle, it's one thing, turned 90 degrees, it's another. This is one I just finished. (Took a while and a lot of materials to get it right.)

It's rather obvious that my photographic skills need some honing, but you get the idea.

I just cut my 1st compound (a gift bow) last nite and it's tough to do! I can only imagine how much time (and strength!) it took for your compound. Looks quite intricate - and nice job with lining up the grain.

Actually, I find it not difficult at all. The hardest part was finding material the right dimensions for the pattern. Had to trim down some 4X4s cause there's nothing near TRUE 2X2 in this area. Fortunately, I had some laying around and the cutoffs can be used for some of the other ornaments I make. :)

As far as the patterns, I can't take credit for the design, because they came straight out of a book called, "128 Compound Scroll Saw Patterns" by Same Keener

I made a lot of kindling myself over the first couple weeks of trying, but finally developed enough patience to NOT push too hard or sideways on the work. Knowing when to change to a new blade has always been a challenge for me, too, but compound cutting helps a lot with that. Blades dull quicker and if they're dull, it takes a lot more work. I'm not in it for the "work", so I'm learning how to keep it easy. ;)

I've got a whole box full of pieces ready to cut, now, and I'm spending a lot of time doing it. (Helps reduce the stress of not being able to get the wood for my daughter's toddler bed for a while.)

I have done a good number of compound cuttings too and found that most of the patterns call for using 2" X 2". How I solved that was to copy the pattern into a publishing program and just reducing it to common 1 x1/2" X 1 1/2".

I get $7 each or 3 for $20 donation.

John

Old Dust

Thanks for the advice, John. I tried that with the 2 sided figures and it just doesn't work well. Don't know if it's my cheap saw or my shaky hands, but making them smaller makes some parts so delicate that it's too hard for me to remove the waste without breaking them. The Xmas ornaments are easier to scale down cause all I have to do is cut a little away from the lines. By the way, ALL of the cutoffs from the 4X4s can be used for other ornaments, so there's no waste. (Well, not much more than sawdust, anyway. :thumbs: )

• 10 months later...

Hello David,Looks like you and that ryobe have got a good thing going!I have never seen such a project as this" two in one" that you've done remarkably well.Your really thinking!I'd like to see where your going to end up in the next few weeks experimenting with this differant concept!You've designed a better mouse trap so to speak!I'm intreaged to see what's on the menu coming up.i'll stay tuned for the next episode intencely.Great idea right concept! :)