Finished Pumpkin Candle Tray

WolfmoonCT

Very nice! I just ordered a winter candle tray pattern today from Sheila Landry (the 1st time I'll be using her patterns) - was tempted to order the pumpkin tray but trying to actually make things instead of stockpiling patterns. : ) Question: I'm a new woodworker, don't know much about finishing...did you use a stain or paint on the pumpkins/leaves? I like the way the woodgrain shows thru. thx, Suzanne

I follow her instructions.. It's a mix of DecoArt Staining and Antiquing medium, and an orange acrylic paint.. DecoArt is backorded on the color she used, but my GF had a bottle of "pumpkin orange" that looked good when i tested it on scrap wood. I just mix it and paint it on. I don't wipe it off like the staining medium says to.. I usually do one coat, then when that is nearly dry, I do a second light coat, and it usually gives it better color without getting too dark. Your going to love doing her trays.. I've done quite a few, and still have more I haven't cut. I think I have like 20 of her tray patterns.

It's not a race to get completed unless you are getting paid by the piece. Slow / Fast it does not matter. These trays are fun to cut and decorate. I cut one a while back and included the paints and the DecoArt Staining and Antiquing medium along with detailed instructions and gave it as a family gift. They had a good time painting the different parts as a family affair.

DW

Hey Dan, It's made from 3/8" thick Ash. There may be a way to stack cut, but where the center of it is bevel cut, that wouldn't work with the stack cutting. The only thing I can think, is once you get the centers and outside cut, then you would have to get them lined up good, then clear packing tape to hold them together. But 3/4" thick ash with those curves might be hard to cut.