Bought A New Table Saw Yay!

kmmcrafts

My table saw has been on its last leg. about 6-8 years ago a bearing in the transmission seized up on my elcheapo tradesman table saw from the 1990's before I was into woodworking. I was doing a home remodel project and needed a cheap table saw so the Tradesman was the cheapest that was available. Think I paid $70 on sale with stand, LOL. Anyway when that bearing went out smoke rolled out of the motor, LOL.. Next day for fun I plugged it back in and turn on the saw and it worked again.. so I took it apart and changed that bearing, however the motor was very weak after that and could only use it for chopping down my sheets of BBply 1/8" or 1/4" that was about all it could handle.

I finally had enough of being limited to just cutting the ply down to size so this morning I ordered a DeWalt jobsite type saw.. I have a few projects that I'd like to make that will require a better saw. 

On a side note.. The new deWalt planer I bought about a month ago.. I finally unboxed it yesterday and put the stand etc together and set it up.. Haven't turned it on yet.. Thinking I'm going to run a a lot of rough cut kinda dirty lumber through my old one before I sell it.. I just put new knives it the old one and they have a edge on both sides.. I'm going to run the rough cut through it until the one side is dull then switch to the other side and then list it forsale.. I have about 200bdft each of rough cut Maple and Walnut that was given to me.. That stuff always ruins my knives pretty quick so hoping to just take a pass or two to kinda get the rough cut dirty off them so I can run them through my new one as needed. LOL   

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

My table saw has been on its last leg. about 6-8 years ago a bearing in the transmission seized up on my elcheapo tradesman table saw from the 1990's before I was into woodworking. I was doing a home remodel project and needed a cheap table saw so the Tradesman was the cheapest that was available. Think I paid $70 on sale with stand, LOL. Anyway when that bearing went out smoke rolled out of the motor, LOL.. Next day for fun I plugged it back in and turn on the saw and it worked again.. so I took it apart and changed that bearing, however the motor was very weak after that and could only use it for chopping down my sheets of BBply 1/8" or 1/4" that was about all it could handle.

I finally had enough of being limited to just cutting the ply down to size so this morning I ordered a DeWalt jobsite type saw.. I have a few projects that I'd like to make that will require a better saw. 

On a side note.. The new deWalt planer I bought about a month ago.. I finally unboxed it yesterday and put the stand etc together and set it up.. Haven't turned it on yet.. Thinking I'm going to run a a lot of rough cut kinda dirty lumber through my old one before I sell it.. I just put new knives it the old one and they have a edge on both sides.. I'm going to run the rough cut through it until the one side is dull then switch to the other side and then list it forsale.. I have about 200bdft each of rough cut Maple and Walnut that was given to me.. That stuff always ruins my knives pretty quick so hoping to just take a pass or two to kinda get the rough cut dirty off them so I can run them through my new one as needed. LOL   

I hope you bought the 10" model. They have an 8" one too so you have to be careful. I've got an early 10 inch. The DW745 and I bought the fold up cart for it. I'm going to be making a permanent dedicated stand for it so I can have an outfeed table also. I'll put my Dewalt 12 " miter saw on the folding stand and be able to move it around. It's a bugger to move the way it is. Very heavy. Great news that you finally got a new saw.

8 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

I hope you bought the 10" model. They have an 8" one too so you have to be careful. I've got an early 10 inch. The DW745 and I bought the fold up cart for it. I'm going to be making a permanent dedicated stand for it so I can have an outfeed table also. I'll put my Dewalt 12 " miter saw on the folding stand and be able to move it around. It's a bugger to move the way it is. Very heavy. Great news that you finally got a new saw.

I bought this one here.. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-10-in-Job-Site-Table-Saw-with-Rolling-Stand-DWE7491RS/204512007

I started off with most my tools either free or cheap quality used and mostly worn out.. LOL.. I love my 12" DW miter saw I bought last year.. and the rolling stand that came with it makes it very easy to move around when needed. My one dislike is I mistakenly bought the one without a laser line or the shadow light... but that said I ran across a YouTube video where you can buy the LED shadow light kit for the saw I have.. so that is also ordered and in the mail soon.   Quality tools make the hobby / business so much more enjoyable. 

My old Ryobi planer didn't come with a stand so I bought the larger heavy duty stand from HF but it's kinda flimsy with the weight of the planer etc. and no wheels to move it, so I'm always picking it up ( I have a clear coating on my floor that I try not to scratch ) to move etc.. This new stand for my new planer is so nice as it's so easy to hit the peddle to put it on the wheels and push / pull it anywhere. Same thing with my table saw.. always pick it up to move it.. so I'm pretty excited to get this new one with the rolling stand. Same for my old miter saw.. it was a nice saw but it was mounted to a cheap regular HF stand and had no board supports for long boards etc.. All of these tools worked well for me and I never knew what I was missing out on until I got the rolling miter saw stand.. LOL Also for the most part my shop is / was big enough to not "have to" move stuff.. However I bought a project car to fix up a few weeks ago and I want to try to keep my shop condensed down to one bay so I can put the car inside and have plenty of work room around it.  

My old table saw will be going to the scrap metal recyclers.. it's too dangerous to sell in my opinion.. the bad bearing and wear on the transmission makes the blade have some wobble and it's really just not all that save to use.. I really should have scrapped it 5-6 years ago instead of putting a band aid on it so to speak.

The planer I had offered up free to a few friends but no takers so I'll put it up on FB Marketplace soon.. It's getting worn but does work well enough and has some life left. I just know prices are going up on most everything really soon.. and I know I'm going to "need" them in the next couple years.. Might as well buy now.. if I don't like them for some reason with inflation happening, I might be able to sell them for near what I paid, LOL

59 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

My old table saw will be going to the scrap metal recyclers.. it's too dangerous to sell in my opinion.. the bad bearing and wear on the transmission makes the blade have some wobble and it's really just not all that save to use.. I really should have scrapped it 5-6 years ago instead of putting a band aid on it so to speak.

The planer I had offered up free to a few friends but no takers so I'll put it up on FB Marketplace soon.. It's getting worn but does work well enough and has some life left. I just know prices are going up on most everything really soon.. and I know I'm going to "need" them in the next couple years.. Might as well buy now.. if I don't like them for some reason with inflation happening, I might be able to sell them for near what I paid, LOL

I sold my 25 year old Delta jointer for within 50 dollars of what I paid for it new. I bought a rototiller for the back of my tractor 5 years ago. Paid 1300 for it new. Don't use it much any more so I'm going to sell it. A new one if you can find it is 2100 now. So when I list it going to ask 1500.