When free becomes expensive

Wichman

A piece I finished cutting today, this was cut from a piece of wood given to me, when I took the pattern off it fell apart, it "broke" on a grain line. I'll fix it with super glue, but still.

It seems all the wood in this batch is very brittle, most of the panels have a split in them, the board this piece is from had a split down the middle, I thought I had avoided the split, sigh.

20220422_204822.thumb.jpg.13d594cd09c9d1987767bc6d467aa613.jpg

Edited by Wichman

8 hours ago, Hawk said:

Just a thought, the wood appears thin, perhaps double the thickness by gluing 2 together cross grain would keep it from splitting? 

Very nice clean cut for it's size though.

Chris

It's 1/4 hardwood, don't know the species. This will be just some random patterns to use it up, I won't be getting any more.

Does anyone recognize the type of wood @Wichman used for this project?  It looks somewhat familiar.  

Some types of wood are more brittle than others.  Doing fine fretwork with ¼” panels will emphasize this.  And it may be more so if the particular panel is especially dry or has flaws. 

I had a similar experience and wrote about it last year – see  Monkeypod - General Scroll Sawing - Scroll Saw Village.  I adjusted my expectations, changed to a smaller blade and, in time, finished the project.