Wood Slab Gorilla

Nickel Falls

Since they were stack cut, there is no apparent differnce in the cutting...both well done.  However, not quite sure if the rough cut slab offers much to the composition.

Coloration in the photos of cuttings can be deceiving, and in this case, probably so..  Top photo looks like the gorilla's fur is almost white.  Not very realistic to me. In the bottom photo it seems you may have tried a grey wash of some type.  Better, but sill not very realistic to me.   To me, and this is only my opinion, Gorilla's are usually a dark brown, unless it is a silverback. 

Now I also have a difficulty with the nose/upper lip area.  Can't exactly say why, but just doesn't look cosrrect.  And.the piercing eyes could be a brighter yellow/green.

When I color a piece, I try to find photos of a "real" subject and use that as a guide to adding color.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Been there done that!

I hope you do not object to the critique.