1st Cube Tissue Box

John B

On 5/6/2022 at 1:40 AM, FrankEV said:

Excelent Job.  Love that each face has a different cutting. The dark trim on the light box is just beautiful. 

What tool did you use to miter the corner trim?

30% Gloss Lacquer?  Mix your own?  Spray or brush on?   You should not tease and put something out there that is different with out an explanation.🤪.

Thanks Frank.
The Lacquer I purchased. It is an Australian brand "Maxiwood" made by Wattle. The 30% is the amount of shine (reflection in) the finished project with 100% being full gloss. It gives a very nice soft natural look with a glass like feel. I use a spray gun to apply it. It last quite awhile as it is thinned 2 parts thinner to 1 part lacquer prior to spraying.
The edge trim around the top of the box I mitred with a hand mitre saw as it is quite delicate being only 3mm thick and Jarrah is very hard and old Jarrah can be brittle. I only use 2nd hand Jarrah. I do have a very nice Dewalt mitre saw but I find doing things by hand on delicate stuff is better.
The corner pieces are not mitred they are cut in an L shape on my table saw.
image.png.4d493f076dfbb41282373d1cc3e8008e.png  Sumo King 550mm Precision Hand Mitre Saw - MY Power Tools

On 5/6/2022 at 3:14 AM, Bill WIlson said:

I had to look up "bursar" as I had never heard that term before.  🤔

As for the tissue box, I like your use of the contrasting wood trim.  It adds to the visual appeal of the piece, without competing with the fretwork.  Nice work!

Thanks Bill.
To be quite honest I had never heard of the term actually being used until the Missus started teaching at a catholic School.
I had various sizes of jarrah trim all over the bench trying to get the proportions correct. What I see in my minds eye sometimes does not translate to the real world :)

On 5/6/2022 at 4:39 AM, dvdneal said:

I need to get better at finishing so my stuff looks that good.

You will, practice and patience. It took a 5 year apprenticeship and many years of application for me to achieve this, and I am still learning.
I have found, over the years, that many people tend to treat the finishing as an aside to making the actual item, with the thought "Now all I have to do is finish it". Every step of the way is important and the finish will only ever be as good as the preparation.
I hope this doesn't come over like I have a big head, I am only offering some advice and you kn ow what they say, it is only worth what you pay for it. :)

Edited by John B

23 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

She will not only be very pleased with the gift but you will be thought of every time she takes a tissue from it. I am sure that this nice box will be around for as many years as she is. Great job and well thought out.

Dick

heppnerguy

21 hours ago, wombatie said:

A perfect gift.  Something that she will use everyday.  Fabulous work.

Marg

Thanks Dick and Marg,
I should of included a spare box of tissues. As Karen had quite an emotional day with the School kids making a presentation and the staff another . Not to mention a few individual gifts from staff and parents.
She will be missed, but we all have to take advantage of opportunities when they are placed in our way.

7 hours ago, John B said:

Thanks Frank.
The Lacquer I purchased. It is an Australian brand "Maxiwood" made by Wattle. The 30% is the amount of shine (reflection in) the finished project with 100% being full gloss. It gives a very nice soft natural look with a glass like feel. I use a spray gun to apply it. It last quite awhile as it is thinned 2 parts thinner to 1 part lacquer prior to spraying.
The edge trim around the top of the box I mitred with a hand mitre saw as it is quite delicate being only 3mm thick and Jarrah is very hard and old Jarrah can be brittle. I only use 2nd hand Jarrah. I do have a very nice Dewalt mitre saw but I find doing things by hand on delicate stuff is better.
The corner pieces are not mitred they are cut in an L shape on my table saw.
image.png.4d493f076dfbb41282373d1cc3e8008e.png  Sumo King 550mm Precision Hand Mitre Saw - MY Power Tools

TY.  I have, and use, the same hand miter saw.  Works well and very accurate.

That Jarrah is beautiful.

And TY for the info on the 30% Lacquer.  I'm not set up to spray with a gun so forced to use spray cans.  Our cans are gloss, semi-gloss and satin.  Sounds like 30% is like our satin.