788 maintenance

SaltyDog

Hi Saltydog.

I had the same question as I have just got a pre-used 788 and I downloaded a manual. There is really no need to do anything except to check the bushes in the motor from time to time, I think the manual said that if they go down to 3/8th of an inch to replace them but to use genuine parts. All other moving parts use self sealing bearings so you are okay. I hope your saw provides you with many years of trouble free service.

Geoff.

I just had a problem with my 788 fuse went out and I put a new one in. I don't know what happened. Still didn't work after new fuse. Checked wire from plug in,checked wire from switch back good. Ordered new board. Put new board and brushes in and it worked. I have used this saw for 12 years and this is the second time I have done anything to it. First time new switch. It would turn on at anytime. If you use your saw for custom orders I would pick up some spare parts. Most of the time you will not get anything in two days. I could have shipped the board from sears in two days for 54 dollars shipping. I did order it from Dewalt and it came in after 10 days.

1. fuse

2. switch

3. Brushes

Should cost you under 20 dollars for all of them. Shipping will cost you the most!!!! :)

So in the time that it took for me to get the parts I bought a new 788 type 2.

If I didn't have the saw I would have missed out on about 500 dollars in sales so it paid for the new saw. So now I will always have a running 788 and enjoy using them everyday.

Michael :cool:

Hey guys I've been told and I myself have done this , and I can't tell you weather or not it'll work or not - and here go's . I read some where that you need to cover the switch up with a plastic bag and tape it up good where dust can't get into the switch and this is just what I did since I use the foot switch anyway . Maybe this was just a line of cr_p or not I just took this person's word - and I don't really remember who or where I heard this from it's been too long .....MB..... :roll::roll:

Hi Guys. I thought I would just add my bit. Over here in the Uk the power supply is not perfect and srcoll saw motors being what they are and maybe a bit on the fragile side I use a surge protector, the same as you would use on your computer and I have never had a problem since using them. Some years ago I had the motor on my scroll saw replaced three times and then the dealer suggested I use a surge protector and it has been great ever since.

Geoff.