Pegas Band Saw

Dave Monk

Last week I ordered a Pegas Band Saw from @Denny Knappen. As I expected, nothing but excellent customer service.  I received it today. It's all set up and I am cutting with it. Each size blade you have to have matching guide bearings.  The bottom one is kind of a pain in the butt to change. I put a #5 blade and bearing on it which is the smallest it will accommodate.  I imagine I will just leave that one on.  I've made a few test cuts and I am totally happy with it. I've been doing a lot of intarsia, that's why I bought it. It will cut any hardwood like butter. I tested it on Wenge and it amazed me how easy it cut. If you do a lot of intarsia I would strongly recommend one.

5 minutes ago, dgman said:

Congratulations Dave!

How are the edges of the cut. Do they need sanding?

It seems like it would be good for stand up puzzles as long as the puzzle doesn’t have any inside cuts. 

Give us a review after you have put some hours on it.

Very nice edge. I think there might be a few problems cutting puzzles. I don't think you can back the blade up very much. It won't turn quite as sharp as I can on my scroll saw. I will sure give it a try and let you know. The dust collection on it is excellent. 

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

Very nice edge. I think there might be a few problems cutting puzzles. I don't think you can back the blade up very much. It won't turn quite as sharp as I can on my scroll saw. I will sure give it a try and let you know. The dust collection on it is excellent. 

I wonder, just out of curiousity, if they will ever offer any sort of blade re-sharpening service. I know that would be asking a lot but if they can make the blades, they should also be able to sharpen them. I'll be watching your posts.

40 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I wonder, just out of curiousity, if they will ever offer any sort of blade re-sharpening service. I know that would be asking a lot but if they can make the blades, they should also be able to sharpen them. I'll be watching your posts.

I really doubt it. I would guess it would take almost as much to resharpen as it would to make new.  I would imagine mine will be broke by the time it need sharpened. 

1 hour ago, Denny Knappen said:

Wow, Dave, I thought they would call for your phone number.  Glad you received it.  Keep us informed on the progress.

I tracked it and it was sitting at the Old Dominion Freight center about ten minutes from my house.  I called them Wednesday Evening and got it scheduled for a Thursday delivery. Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...