Any advice for first ever Craft Show !

pdmclardy

Hi , i am going to my first ever craft show ( really nervous ) on the 10th of november, it is just a local one but i am looking for advice on the type of stuff that sells ? i am taking some key holders in different names and sizes , some animal puzzles , some of my pictures and portraits and some local football team names cut from mahogany which stand on there own! any other advice anyone can give me would be warmly welcome. ;)

Peter

I don't do craft shows but go to a lot with LOLML and what annoys her most is items that are not priced or can't be easily seen. She just walks on.

I have seen from other sites that mini birdhouses and angels are selling like hot cakes. I would never have guessed that people would pay $10 or 2 for $18 for them but it have been reported a number of times tht this is the going number.

A couple of my friends are making lots for their shows and I am not sure what they are going to sell for.

Don

I have cut down on doing shows but have done 30 to 50 shows during our 'winter visitor' season.

Some tips I can offer:

Have prices clearly seen.

Have LOTS of $1 bills for change.

If you can get a table next to a wall you can double or triple your display with a leaning grid to hang items on.

Have business cards out on the table.

Have a 3"X5" index card on table stating "YES! WE DO CUSTOM ORDERS.".

Have a sample of a house name sign below that card.

Have a order pad handy.

Have some $1 to $5 items.

SMILE! and talk to everyone.

Have FUN.

John

Old Dust

Hi Peter.

I can understand that you must be feeling a little nervous and there are a few things to bear in mind with craft fairs. On my first one I made a loss, on my second i made a little profit and now they are going well. I learnt a lot very quickly. I saw how the other stalls were laid out and how the sellers interacted with the customers. I have found using a black or dark table cloth shows off wood work to great advantage. Don'e have everything flat on the table, items need to be raised up to eye level so take a small shelving unit if you can but by all means have items on the able as well. Your aim is to get people to come to you. If someone is looking at an item you have made start a conversation like what wood it is made from. Have the shelving unit at one end of the table at an angle so it hits people as they get near, at the other end of the table have a stand or two. If you have say 12 of one item then have two out on display and the rest in reserve. I print my prices on lovely card with a nice hand written type print and many people comment on these signs. When people are at your stall i have found it is bad practice just to sit there and say nothing, even if it is only "Good Morning," You have broken the ice and people will feel more at ease. Whatever the outcome at the end of the day do not be disheartened. Look at the other stalls to see if someone else is selling wood work, see what is selling. Have some business cards on the table so people can take one. What is a good seller is children's names. Make three for girls and three for boys and take them along and if people want one they can order from you and you can ship it to them in a week or so. Include shipping in your price though and make a sign stating this. You could have another sign saying "Commissions undertaken." Please see a member of staff. Anyway Peter. If you want to know anything else just let me know and I wish you well at your first craft fair.

Geoff.