China Rose

FrankEV

Another outstanding work of art.  Your color choices always impress me-I always have trouble using colors that compliment each other-wife says I am color blind but I argue I just see colors differently!  Did you use a pre stain before staining your frame-it looks really good with no blotchiness, I tend to have trouble with that.

1 hour ago, CSull said:

...-I always have trouble using colors that compliment each other.... Did you use a pre stain before staining...

I learning about colors.  However, I try to use something to go by to select my colors.  In this case the Illustration is in color and I basically did what the original artist did. In other cases I will look at photos of the real subjects.  The hardest part is blending the paints to get the colors correct.  Not alwasys easy.

Yes I do use Minwax pre-stain wood conditioner before staining.  It is supposed to reduce blochyness, but does not always work.   That is one reason I keep trying new stain colors. 

This Fruitwood color worked well with the Poplar.  First coat brushed on and then wiped off in about two minutes, let dry well.  Second was a thin coat, applied uniformaly with a foam brush and allowed to dry throughly. No bloches or streaks.  It was the first time I used a throw-a-way foam brush to apply stain...It may be the trick to uniform application.  Gonna have to try with some of the dark stains that tennd to be blochy and streak.

Edited by FrankEV

Just bit of humor and critic...

It is fresh cut in Florida, beautiful pedals, and leaves.  Not China.

The wood is from baltics I think, not China. 

So the only complaint is the name.

Florida roses look great.  The brain adds branches to the existing branches.  So the artwork does not get too detailed trying add more branches. 

Elegant.