Skill 3335 Owners

-X-Outlaw

Hi guys,

I'm new here so let me introduce myself. My interest in scrolling is so that I could make small flat parts for my robotic and RC aircraft projects. I recently started looking for a scroll saw and my local hardware store had an older delta model SS305LS for about 420USD.

After researching online and the DeWalt DW788 for about 40$ more I decided to look around online. I am not from the USA so freight, VAT and customs duties are factored into my price. I came across the Skil 3335-02 for 100$ on amazon but couldn't find any definitive reviews on it. Some said it was great some not so great. But I thought to myself for 100$ I could afford to try it out.

Now that said, I don't think I'm going to be using this tool as heavily as you guys. It won't be a hobby in itself but a tool to support my existing hobbies.

I bought it for a specific project I'm undertaking that as a fair bit of curves and inside cuts. The material I'm working with on this project is G10 (FR4) 0.187" (about 4.75mm) thick.

Searching through this fine forum I came across at least two 3335 owners with only minor problems.

1. The blade holder bolts strip

2. The bellow for the air blower gave out.

I have already ordered spare bellows, blade holders and associated hardware. If I get the problem with the blade holder I'll just drill and tap it out to a larger size, possibly helicoil it.

Since the posts I read was some time back (January 2011 i think) I would like to find out is how has this machine been holding up over the long term.

Apart from the issues mentioned above did anything go wrong?

Are you guys still using this machine?

How is the vibration? Mine will be mounted to MDF then clamped to a work table.

Has there been any issues at all with the motor or any electronic components?

My machine should arrive Friday. I appreciate any input you guys can give.

Chevy

I don't own the machine, but it looks fine to me. Skil is a good brand. I have a cheap Craftsman ($120) saw and it works just fine and can do any project I've ever wanted. You should be able to do inside and curved cuts just fine. Intricate cuts are more dependent on blade choice than saw (many buy from Mike's Workshop...he ships overseas). Vibration shouldn't be an issue, just bolt it to a solid surface. The bellows aren't a huge deal for me. I know lots of folks who just rig up an aquarium pump if that part breaks. The blade holder could be an issue, but it sounds like you're experienced enough to tap and replace that yourself if it does go wrong. For a $100, you can't go wrong. If you find that you're using it much more than you thought, then you can invest in a more expensive saw like a Dewalt or Excalibur (I think Excalibur is easier to get in Europe) when this one wears out.

• 2 weeks later...