Is it or Isn't it??

I was at a local big box store today to buy some wood.  Wanted 1/4" poplar for a project.  The piece on the left is some leftover, or not yet used, from 2 years ago.  The piece on the right was purchased today.  It was labeled as poplar.  Regardless of what it is, it was purchased to use for the intended project.  Just thought the difference is looks was quite dramatic.  Other larger Poplar boards had the more familiar look like the piece on the left.

20220727_134013.jpg

I made a 4' tall cross out of 3" x 4" poplar and it was almost pure white. No other colors in it. I'm sure it will darken slightly over time. 

A few years ago I made a poplar stool that had browns, reds, purples and greens in it. 

Yes, poplar can vary significantly. Very easy to work with, though. 

Looks like poplar that I use most.. I have had some pieces with brown, green, purple look to them.. but I try to stay away from those for the puzzles I make.. the unicorn puzzle might be cool from the rainbow colored pieces I have.. but a dog puzzle to me looks best from just plain blah wood.. LOL

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

Just our curiosity Paul, what is a "popular ant"? 

Okay Ray, not nice to make fun of the mentally impaired and by the way,,, "popular ant" are the ones most liked,, that is not hard to figure out..  (why are there empjis of a guy sticking his tongue out at someone!!🤪

37 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Okay Ray, not nice to make fun of the mentally impaired and by the way,,, "popular ant" are the ones most liked,, that is not hard to figure out..  (why are there empjis of a guy sticking his tongue out at someone!!🤪

Sorry Paul. Didn't mean to step on your popular ant.

The almost pure white poplar is hard to come by! I, l like many others, always check the wood selection of poplar at the big boxes, and will snap up any of the white boards and any with different coloring. I still have a 2 inch wide by 24 inch  that would pass for ebony when a finish is applied!  The colorings of the wood make for interesting compound cuts of ornaments when glued up!

Erv

Edited by redwine
spelling

8 hours ago, kywoodmaster said:

My experience with Poplar is the closer you get to the outside of the tree (bark part) the lighter the wood. When you get into the heart wood is where you get the multi colors of wood.

This is often called "Heart wood".

In fact, many of my customers request the darker and rainbow colored poplar.

I have to disagree with the puzzles looking better with the blond. The interesting thing about the rainbow poplars is the contrast and warmth the colors give the puzzles.

Some of the heartwoods we have, we actually charge a premium for products made from that.

Edited by new2woodwrk

FYI - To the thread

According to the Mill works shop I get my wood from, rainbow and other colored poplar, in fact any wood that has grain:

The grain is often caused by the fungus and/or minerals in the ground the tree absorbs over time. The less fungus/minerals, the more blond the wood when it is cut.

The closer cuts you get to the center (Heart, hence the name Heartwood) the darker it becomes.

Edited by new2woodwrk