Excalibur Issue(s)

oldhudson

I have a EX-21. It's only a few years old. I don't do a lot of scroll work but I decided to make a couple trivets and I'm having issues. It seems like lifting the arm has gotten quite a bit harder (mid-project) to do and there is a metal on metal scraping noise when I left it. No scraping sound when it's lowered. I've never had it apart. I have no clue what goes on inside a saw like this. It is always indoors in a humidity controlled space. I don't know if there is anything else I can add that would help? I can take a short video if that would help.

I hope one of you fine individuals can help me sort it out. TIA

The bolt that you adjust the tension no to adjust how hard it is to raise and lower the arm, has a little metal bearing in it that runs against a piece of medal... You might test the status of it and maybe that little ball bearing is worn.

Edited by Scrappile

Charles Dearing has a quick video on how to adjust your arm 

https://youtu.be/M4bQY8mFdY8

Also Keith Fenton has a good article on adjustments for the EX-21

Tuning Your Excelsior Or Excalibur Scroll Saw - Sheila Landry Designs

When sitting facing your saw, on the rear left side, there is a slotted screw with a lock nut on it. For some strange reason they manage to get out of adjustment. All you have to do is loosen the lock nut, using a straight blade screwdriver turn that slotted screw out until the arm won't stay up. Then turn it in until you get the desired amount of "drag" on the arm when lifting it. Do it a couple of times to make sure it's where you like it. Then, while holding tension on the slotted screw, tighten the lock nut. If you really feel good about going farther, you can take that slotted screw all the way out and apply a tiny bit of grease to the ball bearing that is in the end of the screw to lubricate it. Then follow the instructions as to adjust the tension. It will be different now that it has lubrication on it. Good luck and ask questions if you have any.