looking for advise.

Clayton717

In the future(soon I hope) I'm wanting to buy a new scrollsaw. I've been thing of the dewalt or the excaliber. any thoughts. I have used a dewalt a couple times and liked it, but have never used an excaliber. I'm using a Dremel 1800 now and have no complaints with it, it is just getting tired. I use it alot. any advise or thoughts.

Hi Clayton,

I've had a DeWalt for several years. I like mine, but given a number of chronic quality problems that have plagued the DeWalt recently, I hesitate to recommend them. If I were to buy a new one today, I would give serious consideration to the Excalibur, simply because it has all the features I love on the DeWalt plus a couple additional, such as the tilting head, as opposed to a tilting table. Based on reviews and comments I've read on a number of different forums, the EX has better and more consistent build quality, so problems should be fewer. There are never any guarantees, but I also read better reports on the customer service for the EX than I do for the DeWalt.

The biggest complaint about the DeWalt is that some saws do not cut square to the table, relative to the front of the blade. The table can be adjusted for a blade that is out of square side to side, but there is no easy adjustment to correct the front to back squareness. There are fixes, but who wants to fix a brand new saw? Compounding the problem is that DeWalt customer service seems at a complete loss to understand or correct the problem. I know of one fellow personally who had to send back 2 saws and reject a 3rd at a brick & mortar store before finding one that cut true. I would recommend that if you wish to try the DeWalt, get it from someone who will let you try it before you buy it. That way you can test it out before laying your $$ down.

Sorry for the long rant. I generally like DeWalt tools and I have several in my shop. I'm just disappointed that an otherwise excellent saw has been allowed to decline in this manner.

Clayton if I had the money when I bought the Dewalt I h ave now I would have purchased an Excalibur instead not because it is so much better but because of the tilting head. There are good points made about the inconsistent quality of the DeWalt brand as the company has changed hands 3 times in 5 years to end up as part of the Black and Decker Family Bostich, MAC Tools, Porter Cable and over 30 other Brands. Delta used to be part of this group but was just recently purchased by a Taiwanese company and a new factory in North Carolina is being build to make them. Ultimately the choice will be yours.. see if you can put some hands on an Ex to try it. be interesting to see what your choice would be.

DW

Clayton, you may be able to find a lightly used DeWalt Type I on CraigsList or such. The DeWalt problems are pretty much concentrated in the current Type II. The Type is listed on the motor decal on the same line with the serial number.

The EX is also a fine saw, and the tilting head is wonderful for cutting bowls and such as you are not fighting the workpiece trying to slide off the table on angle cuts. They also have extremely good customer support and service. It is my preferred saw for nearly everything.

Clayton, if you can hold out until you have the funds saved up you will be very pleased that you did, I justgot one a couple of months ago and am very pleased with it. I used a Delta for the last eleven years and was happy with it, but I wanted something that could handle larger stock then the Delta could. I was worried about purchasing a Dewalt simply due to all of the bad press that I've been reading about the type 2 version that they now offer.

Len