Color recommendations?

new2woodwrk

Normally and for the most part aside from a few items, I avoid "coloring" our products. When I do, it is usually with a Minwax stain, Rit Dye or food coloring.

However, I received an order/request to make a "Big Red Dog" puzzle. Obviously, it is a "Clifford" copy with out it being "Clifford" LOL and my current colors/formulas are not bright red enough.

The wood I will use is Poplar, and the entire puzzle will be colored to look like a "Big Red Dog".

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on a wood dye/stain to use. It has to be a nice deep, bright red and soak into the wood, and not be topical so as to interfere with the puzzle nibs (tabs). I really want the red to pop!

I've been looking at Keda dyes and I really like their Red concentrate or Red powder dye - has anyone used these?

Thanks as always in advance

I have used Unicorn Spit and acrylic paints.  The Unicorn spit does not seem to interfere with the puzzle tabs.  When I have done acrylic paints, even watered down, it seems to interfere with the tabs.  The attached heart was done with Unicorn Spit (I think).  The other product you could look at, but it is expensive if you only need a bit, is Osmo.  I mentioned it in my posting on the Roly Poly Ladybug

20210110_122750.jpg

Thanks all - knew I could count on you guys/gals!

@daveww1 - Appreciate the response! I'm concerned that would hinder the puzzle too much. In fact we have a sample of ours that used that process to demonstrate what not to use on our puzzles when coloring them.

@barb.j.enders - that is a very nice color. I can't really get a good idea of the red hue, but it does look very red!

Question - how is it working with the Unicorn Spit product - is it thin enough to not interfere with the puzzle - looks like it works well for you?

Thanks as always

I have a sample pack of Keda Dy Stain Powder that you add to water.

I have tried and it does not work for my projects.

the colour creeps in with the end grain.  See the frogs.  It looks okay but it took a few days before the pieces went back together due to the swelling.

The smiley face and candle holder are pine and it comes out red okay. 

I just tried a piece of poplar.  Soaked about 10 minutes and then let dry for another 10.  You get some stain creeping.  I am not sure this is the colour you are looking for but you can add mix the colours to get darker or lighter.

If you are going to go this way I would suggest you test first.

IMG_8702.JPG

IMG_8703.JPG

IMG_8705.JPG

IMG_8706.JPG

3 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Question - how is it working with the Unicorn Spit product - is it thin enough to not interfere with the puzzle - looks like it works well for you?

It works very well.  If you want a "wash" type finish, then thin it out.  Straight out of the bottle is fairly thin.  Add more coats to darken the finish.  Acrylic sits on top of the wood where Unicorn Spit soaks into the wood.  Hope that makes sense.