Looking for ideas for a themed event

new2woodwrk

We've been invited to setup our booth at a Pirate and Renaissance fair style event.

I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, links etc. for items (I can make most things into puzzles now) /puzzles along these themed lines.

I have an abundance of water and fantasy items: Mermaids, sharks, dragons, unicorns, wizards etc. I'm looking for other ideas I may not have thought of or do not have patterns for.

I have  the Fantasy and Legends pattern book with the dragons, but if you know of another of those types of books please feel free to enlighten me.

I will be doing my own research of course, but I know there are great minds here who always come up with things I never would have thought of...

You guys/gals all ROCK!

Thanks as always in advance.

Edited by new2woodwrk

9 hours ago, preprius said:

maybe make un-official wooden coin made from scraps.?

put small amount in a plastic bag to sell.

Wooden doubloons!  If you have or have access to a laser you could engrave something that represents the event. If not, then maybe cut something in the center that would go along with the theme. 

I personally think you would do well with just putting out anything that you normally sell.. or is that what you do at these events, but have a few themed things as well? Sorry I don't do vendor events so I don't know.. Having went to one of these as a spectator and many others that probably go that have many other interest I would think you'd sell most anything at one.. 

Do you guys do well at these type of themed events, I get invites all the time from etsy where people looking for vendors, I always figured they must not be a very good event if they have to reach out to vendors on etsy, LOL

Just last night I was invited to the Detroit Auto Sema show as a vendor, where they show concept cars and custom built cars etc. It's a once a year thing and absolutely huge event here in Michigan..  I don't do shows and am in no way interested in doing this large of a show for my first one, LOL I don't know how many people go through this show but it's two weeks long, first week is only for car manufactures, dealers, and news crews etc.. then the next week open to the public. If anyone is interested I'll see if I can pass the info onto you, LOL

Thanks all, some really good ideas !

Once again I knew you would all come through!

@kmmcrafts This will be our first ever themed event. We continue to do our Saturday events and have pretty much stopped our Sunday events - too much work.

We do also get invited to quite a few events now since our products are very unique to the area. Some are themed, some are more of the annual type which we have accepted now quite a few times including donating to various charities when they request items for an auction.

We really like the auctions and get a tremendous amount of free marketing and a lot of word of mouth business.

The annual events are your typical end of year, pre Christmas, etc. and we do incredible at these.

This Pirate/Ren fair type themed event is an annual event that supposedly brings in over 15k visitors over 3 days which includes a big children's parade at the beginning.

We have been hedging on doing it but they are going so far out of their way to accommodate us it is hard to say no LOL. They have generously removed setup and breakdown rules, refund rules as well as allowed us to have our trailer where we need.

Another interesting aspect of this particular event is that there are only going to be 15 craft and food vendors. We do very well when there are limited vendors at events!

Also, the company that puts this on, does several other large events during the year and we would like them to ask us to these as well. Some of their events have seen well over 50k visitors over a weekend!

Edited by new2woodwrk