Inkscape

Hawk

Just spent an hour trying to figure out Inkscape.  After getting no where I went to the University here and watched a few videos and learned one thing.

I am NOT a pattern designer.  My hats off to all of you that can do that. I was just trying a simple script name, got no where. 

Think I'll stick to free handing what I need. 

Chris

7 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Just spent an hour trying to figure out Inkscape.  After getting no where I went to the University here and watched a few videos and learned one thing.

I am NOT a pattern designer.  My hats off to all of you that can do that. I was just trying a simple script name, got no where. 

Think I'll stick to free handing what I need. 

Chris

Chris, I've spent he better part of 5 years and it's just now starting to come to me. I am able to manipulate some things and create some things but I'd starve to death if my livelihood depended on it. Keep at it and it will happen. 

I looked for a class to take. I have also done a lot of reading on the Inkscape website. There is also a pretty good Facebook group that answers quickly. I tried the Youtube videos but they were either done by folks with strong accents or lousy cameras/mikes or they went so fast I couldn't follow. I've gotten help here from the Villagers & Travis too. I'd love to sit in a classroom setting and be able to ask questions. Trying to follow from a book is difficult. I spent $50 on a Gimp book and didn't get far. That's a really tough program. Just stting up the screen and workspace was too much for me. Good luck. Don't give up. Ask lots of questions.

Edited by OCtoolguy

I have been "playing" with Inkscape for the last 10 years.  It all started with Free4all.  Rick did a great set of videos on pattern making. That sparked my interest.

I have watched all the videos here in the University which are great and also took the course by "Logos by Nick". https://logosbynick.com/inkscape/

The course by Nick are really great as he explains every command.  He also has a bunch of videos on Youtube.  If you have a question you can reach out to him and he will get back to you.

The biggest thing with Inkscape is to keep at it and don't get frustrated.

If you have a question post it here and someone will usually help.

My experience with Inkscape is changing the fill and stroke. My ability to create patterns has been the ability to create junk. I did a pattern in Gimp but it took me about 10 hours of work trying to color the various pixels. Haven't cut the pattern yet because I'm just not happy with how it turned out. It has about 1500 cuts and I'd like to eliminate about a third of those. I'm planning on trying to gain more experience in both Inkscape and Gimp through online training but time just hasn't permitted as yet. Good luck with your learning. If you find the switch that clicks everything in understanding, let us know.