Pegas Scroll Saw Speed

Juan Rodriguez

I purchased my Pegas s/s in April, 2022. I use it about once a week for an hour or two since I have other saws. 

I run the saw at the 1 O'clock position on the speed control knob. Yesterday, I was cutting a puzzle and all of the sudden the speed increased without me touching the speed control.  

I played with the speed control and was able to reduce the speed by placing the speed control knob at the 10 O'clock position ( which I thought was close to the speed at the 1 O'clock position). Can anyone tell me what could be happening? Are there any Pegas saw owners that have experienced the same? Is there anything I should be concerned about? 

As always, thank you for the your response!

Might try blowing it out with a can of air or air compressor if you have one, can of air is probably preferable because it is dried air where a air compressor may have some moisture content.. Blow it out around the area of the speed dial like between the dial and where it goes into the case. My saw isn't a Pegas but is really close to the same thing as the Pegas is based off the Excalibur.. My saw does this from time to time.. and it's caused by sawdust getting into the speed switch. Blow it out and it stops for a few weeks then all of a sudden speed goes crazy..  

7 hours ago, Juan Rodriguez said:

I purchased my Pegas s/s in April, 2022. I use it about once a week for an hour or two since I have other saws. 

I run the saw at the 1 O'clock position on the speed control knob. Yesterday, I was cutting a puzzle and all of the sudden the speed increased without me touching the speed control.  

I played with the speed control and was able to reduce the speed by placing the speed control knob at the 10 O'clock position ( which I thought was close to the speed at the 1 O'clock position). Can anyone tell me what could be happening? Are there any Pegas saw owners that have experienced the same? Is there anything I should be concerned about? 

As always, thank you for the your response!

I've got a Pegas that I've used pretty hard for over two years.  Haven't had any issues at all with it.

I bought my Pegas scrollsaw in late 2020.  It is my only scrollsaw and I have many hours and many projects of use with it.  I have never had a problem of the type you describe.  

The only problem I have had with my saw was when the blades started slipping and I had to replace the thumb screws and swivels. 

26 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Might try blowing it out with a can of air or air compressor if you have one, can of air is probably preferable because it is dried air where a air compressor may have some moisture content.. Blow it out around the area of the speed dial like between the dial and where it goes into the case. My saw isn't a Pegas but is really close to the same thing as the Pegas is based off the Excalibur.. My saw does this from time to time.. and it's caused by sawdust getting into the speed switch. Blow it out and it stops for a few weeks then all of a sudden speed goes crazy..  

Thank you, Kevin. I will try cleaning the around the speed dial with air pressure.