Best wood for Christmas Ornaments

ctm3rd

For me, it depends on the pattern and how I want to finish the ornament. Some ornament patterns are very intricate and delicate. If I determine that there is a significant risk of breakage, I will lean toward 1/8" baltic birch. I also often use baltic birch ply if I intend to paint them.

Mostly, however I tend to favor solid wood, with a clear finish. The species doesn't matter. I use a variety, depending on the color and look I'm after. I like my flat ornaments to be fairly thin, so I usually don't go over 1/4" and usually am around 3/16" thick. This makes stack cutting easier, as well.

I am with Bill on this one. I use 1/8" plywood if I am going to paint them. Oak, mahogany, walnut or cherry if I want to leave them natural. I do think the painted ones show up better on a tree. I made some last year and applied some glitter to both sides of the natural ones. I found glitter that can be painted on at Hobby Lobby. Gold and silver suspended in a clear liquid.

Mick

I just did 20 of Steve Goods personalized ornaments in 1/4 BB. Was not happy so ended up painting them. Still not finished as the Boss wants more colour.

In future I will only use BB if I intend to paint them or are very light and 1/8 will do.

I wished I had used hardwood.

Don

I use 1/16" plywood that I make myself, I have ten or more different types of veneer that I use and they sell pretty well. When I don't happen to have any of my own plywood ready to use, I use 1/8" BB and they sell almost as well as the others do. I can stack cut as many as eight at a time if I'm using the 1/16" plywood that I make, after I have them cut I finish them with a high gloss finish.

Len

I use 1/8" Baltic Birch ply (usually stack cut 4-5). I don't remember where I read this, but there is a very long German tradition to using this BB Ply and left unfinished. However, I typically like using some spray acrylic clear coat on it so it doesn't get dirty.

Mitch I'm in agreement with Travis , but I also use 1/4" walnut and use both polly and Lacquer switching from one or the other at different times .. :thumbs: ........MB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...