All we ever wanted to know about air brushes and compressors!

OCtoolguy

10 hours ago, Joe W. said:

I got that airbrush kit about a month ago and used it once to paint acrylic on a bud vase.  Was happy with the results.
Last week, I got an order for this pattern, but to be finished with amber shellac, based on another pattern of a fish I had cut out and finished with amber shellac. Sooooo . . . used a brush on the cutout horse pattern and didn't like it.  The brush marks were showing.  So  . . . 

I used amber shellac thinned with Denatured Alcohol.  Ratio was something like 3 to one shellac to alcohol.
I sprayed each side lightly about 8 times.
I like the results, given the first time I've sprayed with shellac.
Will experiment more, as I would like to achieve a glass like finish, if possible.1358787989_horseshellac1.thumb.JPG.fc2f02f1723a684d349d0216d855fc9e.JPG1358787989_horseshellac1.thumb.JPG.fc2f02f1723a684d349d0216d855fc9e.JPG

horse shellac2.JPG

horse shellac3.JPG

horse shellac4.JPG

Very nice Joe. I'm going to try latex interior trim paint and thinning with distilled water. I bought some paint funnel/filters to make sure it's as clean as possible. I really like what you have done. It gives me hope.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, OCtoolguy said:

I just pulled the trigger on this kit. They are currently sold out but should be back in a couple of weeks. For $40, how can you go wrong? For the time being I'm going to use my 2.5 gallon compressor and dial it way down. I want to get a feel for using an air brush and also thte cheapy set from Harbor Freight. I have got to figure out what paints to buy. Probably a basic set of acrylics from Hobby Lobby to start. Something that can be cleaned up with water. 

So?  How is it?

Okay my cheap $10 HF one is a bust.  It works, but leaks air real bad and my little compressor has to keep coming on.  I can hear the air leaking and it is not at the connection. I think it is around the trigger.  I see HF is clearing them out so the must have gotten a lot of returns..

38 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

So?  How is it?

Okay my cheap $10 HF one is a bust.  It works, but leaks air real bad and my little compressor has to keep coming on.  I can hear the air leaking and it is not at the connection. I think it is around the trigger.  I see HF is clearing them out so the must have gotten a lot of returns..

I purchased a better hose for mine and also a bag of fittings from Amazon so that I could hook it all up to my compressor. I also have a quick connect fitting at the spray gun. So far, if I have the compressor regulator set at 30 p.s.i. it holds the air with no leaks. I also used teflon tape at all the connections. The sprayer itself has no leakage. If I were you, I'd take it back and exchange it.

As for the $40 set, I am still waiting for it. The first one got cancelled as they damaged it in the process of packaging it for shipping and it was the last one in stock. They refunded my money and put it on back order. Now, I am waiting and it is supposed to show up today, tomorrow or Monday. Time will tell. I may not get around to testing it right away as I'm in the middle of a couple of projects and I just don't have room for everything at one time. I also bought a fold-up spray booth from Wagner. It's pretty cool. 

Edited by OCtoolguy

1 minute ago, OCtoolguy said:

I purchased a better hose for mine and also a bag of fittings from Amazon so that I could hook it all up to my compressor. I also have a quick connect fitting at the spray gun. So far, if I have the compressor regulator set at 30 p.s.i. it holds the air with no leaks. I also used teflon tape at all the connections. The sprayer itself has no leakage. If I were you, I'd take it back and exchange it.

Cannot exchange it my HF does not carry then anymore. 

Well, it's a pretty simple mechanism so maybe you can find the leak and fix it. Or can they order one in from the warehouse? I'd give customer service a call. I have done that before and they worked with me for parts on a compressor that I had. I'm speaking of the main customer service number, not the local store. Go online and look it up.

Okay,, after all these responses I want to know recommendations on an air brush and compressor to buy... I tried the cheapest.. and they were good enough to let me know I may get some great use out of a better air brush. BUT, I am not an artist that is going to paint beautiful pictures, I am going to paint pieces and parts of scroll saw pictures.  And I am not rich.  My kids thought are doing well, very well, but I am not rich and they are stingy,(just kidding, but I drive a car with 160K on it and need a new house, are they going to make me beg!!!🤣, again just kidding, my kids have alway been very close, even though they have always lived far away.  ( just threw that sentence in there because I am in a whiny mood, three, okay five, glasses of wine does that,, get it whiny/wine?)  So what is recommended for a guy like me.  Gravity fed, suction out of a jar. compressor with a tank or one that runs while you are spraying, double action or single.  I will probably use acrylic paint most, easier cleaning?  I still do not know every thing I need to know.  Any real recommendations?

Edited by Scrappile

On 10/23/2022 at 6:39 PM, Scrappile said:

Okay,, after all these responses I want to know recommendations on an air brush and compressor to buy... I tried the cheapest.. and they were good enough to let me know I may get some great use out of a better air brush. BUT, I am not an artist that is going to paint beautiful pictures, I am going to paint pieces and parts of scroll saw pictures.  And I am not rich.  My kids thought are doing well, very well, but I am not rich and they are stingy,(just kidding, but I drive a car with 160K on it and need a new house, are they going to make me beg!!!🤣, again just kidding, my kids have alway been very close, even though they have always lived far away.  ( just threw that sentence in there because I am in a whiny mood, three, okay five, glasses of wine does that,, get it whiny/wine?)  So what is recommended for a guy like me.  Gravity fed, suction out of a jar. compressor with a tank or one that runs while you are spraying, double action or single.  I will probably use acrylic paint most, easier cleaning?  I still do not know every thing I need to know.  Any real recommendations?

Paul, watch some youtube videos. The guy that did the one about the H/F $10 air brush has got a ton of them. Myself, I ordered the $40 set that he recommended and I'm going to use my 2.5 gal compressor until I feel that I need something else. I'm still waiting on my a.b. set. Should be here tomorrow. I have a feeling it will do everything I want it to do. I'm not an artist either but who knows what may come of this idea?

Edit: Paul, here is a link to a video, not sure if I already posted this, but this is the kit that I will receive today. I got notified that it will be here for sure today. I don't see how you can go wrong on this one. Watch the video about it. Also, this guy has a ton of great info on lots of other stuff.

Edited by OCtoolguy

11 hours ago, jollyred said:

The way to get a glass like finish with shellac is called "French polish", and it is a bit of work.  Don't think you can get it with an airbrush.

I thought of mentioning this, but assumed that we was talking about a high gloss which can be achieved using an airbrush. 

10 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Gravity fed, suction out of a jar. compressor with a tank or one that runs while you are spraying, double action or single.  I will probably use acrylic paint most, easier cleaning?  I still do not know every thing I need to know.  Any real recommendations?

I prefer a tank-style compressor; however, the Central Machinery compressor from harbor freight I have worked fine for my airbrush, but you can't pump up a tire or rum air tools with it.

If you do not need to pump up tires, drive nails, or run air-powered tools get the Harbor Freight compressor.

Again, I highly recommend the Badger Anthem 155 airbrushes. These airbrushes will spray anything you are likely to want to spray. They are repairable, and parts are readily available from badger and other sources. Badger airbrushes are made in the USA. Lowcost China airbrushes can work for you, but I treat them as disposable. If they break, getting parts is a crap shoot, and you may not be able to find them.

You are also going to need some accessories. Paint jars and and quick disconnects come to mind.

Got another question.. My compressor I have been using works fine for bursts of air like for a small nailer but not so good to air brush,,, small tank.. How long would one expect a say 5 gallon air tank last for air brushing?  Been thinking of going that way as opposed to purchasing a third compressor.

Edited by Scrappile

5 hours ago, BadBob said:

I prefer a tank-style compressor; however, the Central Machinery compressor from harbor freight I have worked fine for my airbrush, but you can't pump up a tire or rum air tools with it.

If you do not need to pump up tires, drive nails, or run air-powered tools get the Harbor Freight compressor.

Again, I highly recommend the Badger Anthem 155 airbrushes. These airbrushes will spray anything you are likely to want to spray. They are repairable, and parts are readily available from badger and other sources. Badger airbrushes are made in the USA. Lowcost China airbrushes can work for you, but I treat them as disposable. If they break, getting parts is a crap shoot, and you may not be able to find them.

You are also going to need some accessories. Paint jars and and quick disconnects come to mind.

Thanks @BadBob I have looked at them but somewhat more than I can pay.  If I could, I would.  But for a hobby and the amount of times I would use it-- 

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Got another question.. My compressor I have been using works fine for bursts of air like for a small nailer but not so good to air brush,,, small tank.. How long would one expect a say 5 gallon air tank last for air brushing?  Been thinking of going that way as opposed to purchasing a third compressor.

My compressor is a 2.5 gallon and it lasts for about of minute to minute and a half of constant on trigger of the set you bought. That's with the regulator set at about 25 psi. The actual pump will almost keep up with it once it comes on. But most air brushing is done in small bursts so mine seems to work ok. I suppose you could buy one of those small air tanks that is used for airing tires and incorporate it into your system to give you more capacity but I don't really see the need.

Edited by OCtoolguy

Note that almost every one of these compressors, as listed on Amazon, is nearly identical to the one harbor freight sells. The primary exception is the addition of a tank.

If you want to try airbrushing, Harbor Freight has the best deal. You get the compressor and airbrush with a regulator and filter. If you use a compressor that isn't made for an airbrush, you will need the regulator, filter, fittings, and hoses.

There used to be some other options for airbrush compressors. These seem to have vanished from the market.

3 hours ago, BadBob said:

Note that almost every one of these compressors, as listed on Amazon, is nearly identical to the one harbor freight sells. The primary exception is the addition of a tank.

If you want to try airbrushing, Harbor Freight has the best deal. You get the compressor and airbrush with a regulator and filter. If you use a compressor that isn't made for an airbrush, you will need the regulator, filter, fittings, and hoses.

There used to be some other options for airbrush compressors. These seem to have vanished from the market.

I found a lot to choose from online. The big difference seemed to be with or no storage tank. About $80-$100.