Reclaimed wood

Eplfan2011

2 minutes ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Ran a piece of reclaimed wood I had through the planer down to 5/16 (I have about 100 liner feet of this @ 9" wide and a 1/8 of an inch varish combined on either side lol)

Its about 60 years old and with stain and varnish on it, it looked like oak, but after planing and cutting it on the scroll saw I think it maybe hard maple. Cleaned up it's a lot lighter and boy is it hard, killing my blades. It was a real PITA trying to cut it, blade wanted to follow the grain. Tryed both FDUR and MGT blades and neither lasted very long .. anyway here's the result as I said it was difficult to stay on the line ....won't be using it for scrolling again 🤣🤣🤣

20220929_140325.jpg

I cut that same pattern out of 1/4 bb.

2 hours ago, Eplfan2011 said:

My wife requested it, she's a repeat customer now!!🤣🤣🤣

Ordering some BB tonight as that maple is nuts to cut ....love the grain in it though. 

I hope yours went smoother than mine !

Just fair warning, never ever.. and I mean never ever take your wife to the wood suppliers that carry exotic wood.. just don't do it. 

When I first picked up scroll sawing there was a real popular wedding / anniversary themed item that my wife loved.. I had to make one for almost everyone we know, LOL.. which I enjoyed making from nice cutting wood. Well one day she was at work so I ( like a dummy ) went and bought some Purple Heart ( our wedding colors was purple for all the brides maids dresses and table decor etc. so I thought it'd be cool to make a purple anniversary gift ) little did I know about wood or wood density at that time.. also didn't have a planer yet so whatever thickness I bought was what I used. At that time most all the exotics was 7/8 or 1-1/4 inch thick. Took a little while to make as the cutting was a bit slower but not horrible.. She loved it and couldn't believe there was actually purple wood.. I said you should see the zebra wood and leopard wood... ooppps 

So when her good friend was getting married I got elected to make one but the wife wanted to go and check out the exotics that I mentioned so she picked zebra wood.. only piece they had was 1-1/4" thick.. LOL I thought the purple heart was bad enough.. The next person she said we need to make from the Brazilian Cherry ( Bubbinga ? ) luckily it was 7/8" but that stuff was the worst of the worst and I bought a good sized piece of it to make other things with.. but I never did touch it to a scroll saw blade again, nor will I.. about 10 years later after getting a planer etc.. I decided to make a cutting board with it.. Still have that board and the knife blade doesn't even mark the stripes of that wood but does on the hard maple that I put in the glued up board. So anyway.. don't say you weren't warned. 🤣😂🤣  

Too late ...

Ever since we have been together I've had to make stuff for her and friends and family, she once volunteered me to make a life size santas sled for a boy scout parade float ! .

The upside to this is she never complains about me buying tools, I even get them as presents ! Last Christmas I got a helixical cutter head for my planer ...

7 minutes ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Too late ...

Ever since we have been together I've had to make stuff for her and friends and family, she once volunteered me to make a life size santas sled for a boy scout parade float ! .

The upside to this is she never complains about me buying tools, I even get them as presents ! Last Christmas I got a helixical cutter head for my planer ...

I enjoy making stuff for her if she wants it.. it's more about the types of wood she chooses to have me use, LOL  And yes it does help in getting new tools etc.. that's sort of how I ended up with the CNC router and laser.. she seen it on TV or youtube and had heard me talk about wanting to "try it someday" then talked me into buying them.. of coarse she didn't have to talk too hard to get me to buy them. She now is telling me I need the bigger laser machine, I told her I didn't think she knew how much those are so she asked how much.. I said well to get one to do large stuff would be $6000 - 8000 she said so get one, LOL.. I'm not going to though.. at least not until I see some selling value to be able to make and sell enough product to pay for itself in a couple years.. and with the economy slowing up and prices of plywood etc.. I'm not biting that one just yet. 

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I enjoy making stuff for her if she wants it.. it's more about the types of wood she chooses to have me use, LOL  And yes it does help in getting new tools etc.. that's sort of how I ended up with the CNC router and laser.. she seen it on TV or youtube and had heard me talk about wanting to "try it someday" then talked me into buying them.. of coarse she didn't have to talk too hard to get me to buy them. She now is telling me I need the bigger laser machine, I told her I didn't think she knew how much those are so she asked how much.. I said well to get one to do large stuff would be $6000 - 8000 she said so get one, LOL.. I'm not going to though.. at least not until I see some selling value to be able to make and sell enough product to pay for itself in a couple years.. and with the economy slowing up and prices of plywood etc.. I'm not biting that one just yet. 

I must admit my wife is golden and I too enjoy making stuff for her, even if some requests are unreasonable and just plain crazy!.

Since losing my leg I've slowed down on bigger projects and when they come along she suggests I pay someone to do them, sometimes I do sometimes I don't lol

Ive always wanted a full sheet router but have never been able to justify the cost to myself even when I had a business.