How did I do ?

Eplfan2011

2 hours ago, Eplfan2011 said:

More time to practice, this was out of my skills level but I wanted to give it a try.

If I'm annoying you all with my frequent posts of my butchery , let me know I'll slow it down 🤷

20220930_150837.thumb.jpg.26a188a87bb678495f6c6a03cb78b9fa.jpg

You're doing great and I for one am enjoying your enthusiasm. Keep it up.

Edited by OCtoolguy

1 minute ago, Hawk said:

Looks great, nice and clean. One way you can make it more interesting would to be to layer 2 or 3 different kinds of wood before you cut it out, but you're doing great!

Chris

Thanks Chris, believe it or not I was struggling ot find a piece of 2x4 never crossed my mind to laminate some scraps together .... Great idea...

I'm thinking of trying my new airbrush out on it, throw some acrylic on it.

I agree with all the others, keep posting.. I don't always comment on these type post but I do enjoy seeing them. I've been sawing for 15+ or - years and you have passed me up in just a few weeks because I haven't done a compound cut yet. 🙂

On 9/30/2022 at 10:14 PM, Eplfan2011 said:

Oh BTW you guys are way too nice, some criticism helps sometimes 🫣🙄

Okay challenge accepted. This turned out terrible-ly nice compared to my compound cut ornament.🤣

I found something wrong! You cut the S's backwards on two sides. ;) I've done some of those and struggled to get the point on the bottom to come out right so I opted to just round off the bottom. You nailed it. Great job! I do like @Hawk's idea about layering different woods. I'm going to give that a shot. 

I agree about using different wood, the most noticeable flaws I see in this piece are in the wood itself.  But then, we all practice on lesser woods first.  And, along those lines, I do see some fuzzies on some of the cuts.  

The holes for the support cord might not be perfectly round.  I often have trouble cutting a small round hole with the scrollsaw and now sometimes use a drill to drill the hole rather than try to cut it.  When displaying the finished piece, nobody knows how you did it, just what it looks like.  

1 hour ago, TAIrving said:

I agree about using different wood, the most noticeable flaws I see in this piece are in the wood itself.  But then, we all practice on lesser woods first.  And, along those lines, I do see some fuzzies on some of the cuts.  

The holes for the support cord might not be perfectly round.  I often have trouble cutting a small round hole with the scrollsaw and now sometimes use a drill to drill the hole rather than try to cut it.  When displaying the finished piece, nobody knows how you did it, just what it looks like.  

Agreed I'd already told myself I was not going to cut that hole next time and use a a drill lol.

Yep the wood was just a old chunk of 2*4 but it's not meant as a keeper just to cut and learn. I must admit I hate sanding I'm going to have to spend more time at it and find some more efficient ways to do it .    Thanks !

Just a heads up.  Pertaining to the drilling rather than cutting the hole and using different/harder wood. I have a really hard time drilling from both sides of, say 1 1//2" oak and having the hole come out perfectly centered in the middle. Maybe others don't but I sure do. So I just drill from one side since it only needs one hole anyway. Not saying this is the way to do it, just what I've done. :) 

34 minutes ago, Charlie E said:

Just a heads up.  Pertaining to the drilling rather than cutting the hole and using different/harder wood. I have a really hard time drilling from both sides of, say 1 1//2" oak and having the hole come out perfectly centered in the middle. Maybe others don't but I sure do. So I just drill from one side since it only needs one hole anyway. Not saying this is the way to do it, just what I've done. :) 

Thanks for the heads up Charlie E!

• 2 weeks later...

That is terrific.  It appears that you are progressing extremely well.  Don't forget to enjoy the journey.  For me, I was way too hard on myself that I couldn't do the challenging things right off the bat.  Then I finally learned to strive for excellence but more importantly - enjoy the journey.