Anyone Know Of Any Plans / Patterns For This?

kmmcrafts

That’s looking great Kevin.

Curious how you did the arms? Also, what’s the overall size? Did you increase or decrease from pattern noted as a source (that was not cut from wood.) How much bigger would it need to be increased if y you wanted to use a pendulum clock piece do you think? Where would you get that pendulum clock piece?

@meflick I haven't actually made the arms yet, what you see is here is the shoulders. I used 1" round dowel rod and then used different size Forestner drill bits to create the spiral look. Honestly I haven't measured the overall size of this so a rough guess is maybe 10 - 12 inch tall? I'm probably way off on that guess as I'm sometimes bad at these guesses. I'll measure it next time I tape things back together for test fitting pieces. I didn't change any dimensions from the pattern from the source, just printed and started piecing things together. The shortest pendulum I could find was 5" if I remember correctly and I'm not sure what the diameter of the larger part is but the inside of the area where it's hollowed out isn't very large and most pendulums I've seen have a fairly large diameter which I didn't think would look right and wouldn't allow it to swing very well so I scraped that idea and just cut a wood one and did a 3" clock insert instead. I've never made a pendulum clock so I wasn't to sure of myself on how it'd all work. The clocks I've seen for them are just the clock movement / motor and you buy / make a face and install the hands etc. onto it. It does take a special motor for use with the pendulum and they are not cheap ( in my opinion ). Just the pendulum was around $20 if I remember correct.. plus the special motor was like another $15 -20.. which is another reason I didn't try any harder than I did to make it work. 

The pendulum clocks and parts etc can be bought at most of the online clock parts sources.. I shopped my main go to sites like clockparts.com, klockit.com, woodworkingparts.com, bearwood etc.. I don't remember who had the better deals now. 

To do over again I might have hollowed out some of the parts.. I cut the torso and the head etc from I think it was 3/4" walnut and they are three layers I glued together so it's pretty heavy.. going to cost me a fortune to ship it to FL. LOL 

The head only has the front piece hollowed out for the clock insert. I think I'm going to take a forestner bit and drill through it a decent size hole because I set the clock in there and it's hard to grab onto it to pull it out to change a battery or set time etc.. To do over, I might have cut through all of them and maybe make a magnetic back door piece to remove to get easier access to the clock. Maybe I'll post some more detailed pictures of the pieces / parts of it to give an idea what I did. 

Kinda funny but the clock looked pretty nifty with just the feet and everything except the torso as I just dry fitted it with the lower section and then the clock on top.. Looked like some high end executive clock or something kinda fancy looking.. might have to make some like that, LOL  

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess I’m about done messing with this guy. Struggled with how I wanted to do the arms and I finally settled on something simple. Overall it worked out pretty good. Sprayed a couple coats of Lacquer on it today. May do a light sanding and shoot another coat on it in a couple days. 

Was a fun and sometimes monstrous project that I had to put down and work on something else before I got mad and throw it. 😂 I will never make another one as It’s not my style of wood art to make. Almost declined making it in the first place and probably should have. But it is for a special occasion and person. 

Edit: Yes the clock lens is cracked, it's a old clock that I keep out in the shop to test fit when making projects.. I'll throw in a new clock before giving it to her. LOL.. My wife keeps on reminding me I can't use that clock in it because it's broke, LOL.. I keep messing with her saying it's not broke the clock works fine.. just has a crack in it, 😂

8FB6FFDE-2DC4-49F9-AD26-29A6E75E68AA.jpeg

69C148B7-2F19-4CDA-9936-3F08C733C82D.jpeg

1B25A8F9-8A26-4D43-AE1B-735AFC7CEFFD.jpeg

Edited by kmmcrafts

• 2 weeks later...